cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full Fiber 200, Asus 4G-AC68U only delivers 1/4 the peak speed of the Vodaphone router?

JohnnyType2
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm on the full fibre 200 package and using a third party router Asus 4G-AC68U which only delivers 1/4 the peak speed of the Vodaphone router. Does any one else have the Asus 4G-AC68U ? and encounter the same issue.

for testing I'm using wired ethernet only, I don't have a SIM in the router either. I wanted to use the Asus for its AImesh capabilities and it was already set up before i got 200 mbps from Vodafone.

So when connected with the Vodafone router on full fibre 200 package I'm getting speeds in excess of 200 mbps, usually 220 or there abouts. As soon as i use the Asus it drops to around 50. I cant explain it, i have every functions switched off so nothing can interfere. When i switch back to the supplied Vodafone router it goes back to 200+ mbps. Call centre is useless as they are reading off a script. anyone else with full fibre 200 notice the massive drop off from using a 3rd party router?

It also suffers from intermittent drop out of service every 20 mins or so. I didnt have any of these issues with other providers using this same modem

Is there any point in using the Asus as an AP instead and let the Vodafone router handle the modem? 

10 REPLIES 10

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Why exactly did you buy the 4G-AC68u, it's not a common router, and based on a design that's more than 10 years old, it's past its best (as someone who marvelled at how good the RT-AC68u was compared to the competition at launch).

Bought for the 4G and AIMESH capability, i was unable to get any wired internet until recently so was using the LTE sim modem.

So this router is no good?

Also have a Netgear LAX20 would that be better do you think?

Ripshod

Which came first, the asus or the netgear?

The LAX20, being wifi 6 would be my choice from the two, but I seriously don't understand the problem with the asus (50ish Mb would suggest a 2.4 Ghz connection though) but that's not important now. 

Im not using wireless, im using the wired connect to test. I havent tried the lax20 i will give it a go. Lots of folk saying the 4G-AC68U is no good.

setup is ONT---->WAN AC68U------>router port----->PC

would ONT--->VODAFONE ROUTER------>ASUS AC68U (as an AP)------>PC  possibly work better?

I would have to change the Asus mode.

Ripshod

@JohnnyType2 wrote:

would ONT--->VODAFONE ROUTER------>ASUS AC68U (as an AP)------>PC  possibly work better?

Possibly. You'll only know by trying. But if you run services you need to access externally you'll be dealing with double nat.

Thanks,

the only issue with not using the vodafone router is i have an existing AIMesh with asus lyra APs, i really didint want to disturb those. 

If i was to go new what would you recommend for third party modems? wifi range is my most important factor

ok so it WAS the router.

I've switch to a RT-AX89X and replacement whole home mesh with wifi 6 and the speeds are around 250mbs over wifi and similar for wired. 

in short the 4G-AC68U is substandard when paired with full fiber internet.

The AX89X is something else though and i would recommend it with no reservations.

Jayach

@JohnnyType2 wrote:

Bought for the 4G and AIMESH capability, i was unable to get any wired internet until recently so was using the LTE sim modem.

So this router is no good?

Seriously, did you not read the answers on the other thread?

Re: ASUS 3rd party router Superfast 2 - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

Who is to say what is good or bad?. If it does what you want, it's good, if not. it's unsuitable. (not bad)