cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow Speed generally (10mb download) but if i dont reboot the router after 1 week it drops to 1mb.

paulmac57
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Since moving to Vodaphone from BT I always have a slow connection speed of 10mb (according to speedtest.net), even though the router status shows it is at 40mb. It gets worse if I dont reboot the server regularly. Eventually Vodaphone seem to throttle me back to 1mb (according to Speedtest.net) download each month. To fix this I carry out a reset in the hub control panel which gets me back to my "quick" speed of 10mb.

3 REPLIES 3

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I don't know if it'll help but when I was on fttc (vdsl) the default vodafone dns servers had a large impact on my speeds.

Try 8.8.8.8 and 208.67.222.222

VFbroadbanduser
10: Established
10: Established

It sounds to me you have 1 or 2 Sky Q boxes that are transmitting on the same frequencies as your routers wifi. This is a known problem which throttles the Vodafone router bandwidth to next to nothing.

The best thing you can do is manually set the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies on the Vodafone router to different frequencies, making sure you are also not using the same ones as your neighbours as well for better wifi performance. Use an app like Wifi Analyzer to see what channels and frequencies are being broadcast.

You will have to download an old version of the Vodafone Broadband app (4.1.0 or older) on Android to do this, I would also split the SSID's as well within the router for separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

Ripshod is also correct about Vodafone's DNS servers, because they have been at their limit and capacity for sometime this year. This is due to the amount of customers Vodafone have and they haven't upgraded their infrastructure adding more DNS servers to cope with all the DNS requests.

You can manually set the DNS servers in the Vodafone router GUI for your internet connection, make sure you reboot the router afterwards. I would use both Google and Cloudflare DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

The router will show you what speed you are synced at. If that is significantly less than you were getting on BT, there must be a problem.

So check what sync you are getting (shown as current rate) and if it is less than your guaranteed speed, give them a call.

Jayach_0-1660153967133.png