Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow download speed on Superfast 2

TONYBUT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have followed all the advice and used help chat to change channels but I still cannot get a decent download speed to my laptop (Less that 2 yrs old running Windows10). Today at 13:17 I switched off all other devices, connected my laptop via ethernet cable and ran the recommended broadband speed checker from speedtest.net.

At the time the sync speed was showing 65Mbps on the app on my android phone.

Speedtest report on laptop was Ping .157 Download 13.55 Mbps Upload 18.74 Mbps

If Upload is greater than download the internet says that the problem is bandwidth congestion? But I have never had a download speed of better than 22Mbps at any time of day.  This is for a services advertised at 75Mbps!!  What is wrong?

86 REPLIES 86

Curiouser and curiouser .... although I am smelling deceitful practices.

On day 14 of my cooling off period, I had been waiting for a call from a Tech2 to update me on my issue. I waited until 8.30pm that evening and, having heard nothing, decided to call VF and cancel the new broadband contract. The call centre person first said she'd chase up the Tech2 and after numerous "can I put you on hold" requests was told Tech3 were still working on it. I I told them I couldn't wait as my cooling off period now only had minutes to run (the dept. closed at 9.00pm) and that I wanted to carry out the cancellation. The call centre person suggested I start the cancellation, wait to hear the outcome of the Tech3 work and then either, 'cancel the cancellation' or let it run through. It would take 31 days so that wouldn't be a problem. She then offered to speak directly with the team involved with cancelling contracts. Whilst on yet another 'hold' I received an e-mail (which I still have) saying, "Sorry you're leaving. We'll cut you off in 31 days and the cost is £0.00". When the call centre person 'returned' she said I was outwith my cooling off period so I would be cut off in 24 hours. After assuring her I was still within my 14 days (by just minutes by this time) and with e-mail evidence to prove it, she spoke with her colleague again and returned to say I was correct but that, because I was still in the cooling off period, the cancellation would take effect in 24 hours, not 31 days. When I told her about the e-mail she said it had been sent in error and that if I waited until the cooling off period had ended, the cancellation would cost me £200.

Having mentioned the e-mail I received she said I was left with two choices ....

1. cancel there and then and be cut off in 24 hours or

2. wait a day and be cut off in 31 days at the cost of £200

I should perhaps have insisted on the cancellation and forced their hand with the e-mail they sent giving me 31 days and at no cost.

I am now highly suspicious of the tactics forcing me to make a decision to stay. I couldn't have been without a phone or broadband line (reconnecting to BT would have taken 14 days) and I couldn't really afford £200. So the choice was 'no choice'.

Apologies for the rambling account but I am deliberately making sure my experiences are logged somewhere because, as I said, I am not going quietly.

A few messages to @Watchdog and @MartinSLewis / @itvMLshow are in order.

Couldn't agree more about the messages to Watchdog etc, its disgusting the way they are treating customers. VF deserve to go under for this, although they wont, but would love to see a mass exit from contracts and no new customers joining due to this getting out. Would be Karma in its finest hour.

Thing is though they would never send someone out next time to disconnect your line so it does seem to be a bluff. If they have an engineer out so quickly then why not use them to fix your line? 

A few people have complained bitterly about the suspicion of VF “throttling” broadband speeds. I had a quick check and found that one way to prove it’s happening is to use a VPN so that the data is sent as a single bundle and not ‘split’ by VF.

My ongoing suspicion of deceitful practices was again raised because my daytime line speeds are always 40ishMb (-10Mb on what I had two weeks ago with BT). Evening speeds are continually plagued with congestion speeds of around 10Mb.

I have used a VPN and discovered that I get the full 50+Mb speed with it. I get a “throttled” speed of 40Mb without it.

Please explain that Vodafone! I’ve attached screenshots as evidence and viewable under “View More Options”.

UPDATE

Call from Tech2 to say that she received an update from Tech3 to say they still have not carried out the works necessary to improve speeds. I reminded the Tech2 (the lovely Aya) that she promised me that migration was to be carried out over a week ago. She confirmed that that was what she had been told. She also confirmed that twice this week, Tech3 were to have completed their works and she acknowledged that nothing had been done - except for “uplifting”. She admitted that she hadn’t heard of such a thing before!
I left Aya in no doubt that from my point of view - the customer - absolutely nothing has changed in terms of line speed improvements, despite three (unfulfilled) promises.

The upshot is now a further update next week 🙄 and I will be escalating a formal complaint about Tech3 to their supervisors if there is no progress.

Tech3 appear to be hiding behind their Tech2 colleagues and are apparently unaccountable which is no way to monitor or, more importantly, improve customer service levels.

You're better off posting these on Twitter or Facebook so that it publicly shames them. 

That's the only way to get their real attention these days sadly.

I most certainly do that too but annoyingly not every tweet appears on their page.

I’m doing it here so mods can pick up the story too - although, compared to the BT mods on their forum, the VF ones do almost nothing, it appears.

Hi @msawyer74@dcwt2010 & @sbrodie 

Our broadband team would love to take a look at this. You can find how to contact them on Facebook or Twitter using this link here 👍

Leaving a message on Twitter is worse than hoping someone here might run with the issue. Moderators post these suggestions and then, apparently, never follow anything up. You have to wait in excess of three days for an answer on Twitter and your message is stopped from appearing on the VF public feed.

I am currently waiting for Tech2 to update me on works being carried out by Tech3, who in turn appear to be waiting on BT Openreach, to resolve capacity issues at my local cabinet.  The next instalment in updates is apparently tomorrow (Wed 15 July). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely understand your frustration here @sbrodie. If you drop us a private message over Twitter or Facebook here, a member of the team will be able to pick this up for you without your message getting lost, and speak to our Tech 2 team directly for you