Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sync speed dropping

Bob-1
4: Newbie

My sync speed as dropped over a couple of months, it was up past the 70's but now it dropped and stopped at 49, i was getting downloads at 69 but at the best its now is 45, in my joining  letter it said my minimum would be 51.

I have noticed that it randomly reconnects which i never got with my previous isp.

Is it worth contacting vodafone?

34 REPLIES 34

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Bob-1 wrote:

Is it worth contacting vodafone?

Definitely. If your sync speed is lower than your guaranteed speed there must be something wrong.

As long as you have checked the connection at your end. (Try in the test socket and no phone extension leads)

Call on 08080 034 515 or use live chat. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

I was using a third party router but have now plugged the Vodafone one in no difference in sync but I'm now getting drop outs on the IP cameras i have.

I will leave it a few days because Vodafone wouldn't give me any support with the third party router plugged in.

CrimsonLiar

A quick thing to try on VDSL connection - especially if you have pets - is just try a different modem cable!

Also, note that when you call Vodafone support they may expect you to be using the nice white modem cable that came with your router.  This is problematic if you have the old router with the grey cable, which support will then insist is the wrong cable!  Such is the level of competence of VF support!

Just been on chat, what a complete waste of time, made me do loads of test which i had already done, reckoned they had updated the firmware they didn't.

I requested the DLM to be reset they told me a factory reset would do that, what a load of crap.

They said that because i was getting the guaranteed download of 46 everything is fine and nothing needs doing.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Bob-1 - thanks for testing this with a Vodafone router. My team can go through some checks with you from our side. Please get in touch with us through Social Media. Please be aware to make sure we haven’t missed anything, we may ask some of the questions you’ve already been asked.

Gemma I will try that tomorrow if i have the time.

Thanks.

Jayach

You originally said the guaranteed download was 51. Unfortunately Vodafone will always use the "you're getting more than the guaranteed speed" as a "get out of jail free" card.

A DLM reset won't really do any good unless your SNR is very high, what is it?

If you are getting disconnects, then that is a reason to have your line investigated. Use that and don't worry about the speed until the disconnects are cured.

When they say "they have updated the firmware" they often mean they have sent a new configuration, the firmware level won't change. (the latest is AFAIK 19.4.0551-3261103)

Have you tried in the test socket? And when you contact them, make sure it is in there as that will be one of the "check list" questions.

The guaranteed download was 46 and not 51, i did miss read that 51 was the expected speed, although on a speed test its always just under.

s/n ratio is 9.8db

Number of crc errors in 7.5 hours since i was told to pull all the leads out and plug them back in again is at 2.

The firmware is the latest, it was before they pretended to up date it from their side..

The disconnects are cured, the cable from the point were it enters the house to a junction box are reasonably new the cable from that to the master socket were very old and not even a twisted pair, these have been replaced.

I was synced at over 70 and was on fast path , i'm now permanently stuck on 49 and interleaved.

Jayach

@Bob-1 wrote:

s/n ratio is 9.8db

Number of crc errors in 7.5 hours since i was told to pull all the leads out and plug them back in again is at 2.

I was synced at over 70 and was on fast path , i'm now permanently stuck on 49 and interleaved.

The high SNR accounts for your low speed. If the disconnects have stopped DLM should should bring it down (and the speed up) after a period of stability. Yes a DLM reset would help, but good luck on getting Vodafone to request one.

For comparison, these are my figures.

Jayach_0-1660153967133.png