cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

UK - Vodafone Broadband - "Speed Sync" at 37.1 Mb/s, actual download speed 4-6 Mb/s

MaxiBelas
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Good afternoon HomeNetworking, I'm hoping you are able to help me today. Had a look through but couldn't find anything on my situation.

showbox

UK resident with Vodafone Broadband, I pay for their highest tier of internet which is supposed to be 55Mb/s guaranteed minimums. From day 1 I have not been able to get anywhere close to that speed, multiple complaints and engineer coming out to look and the determination was the wiring to the building simply cannot deliver that, Vodafone slaps a per monthly discount on my bill and calls it a day. There's no fispeed test bre in my building so I was half expecting as much, fine whatever as long as I can get consistent reasonable speed I'm not too fussed...

As tittle says my actual download rate is between 4-6 Mb/s. Morning noon or night its always around this speed. When I spoke to Vodafone about this they told me to check their wifi app and informed me that the "sync speed" in the "info and support" setting of the app should confirm how much speed I'm getting delivered to the router. It reads at 37.1, even when testing it (both wired and wireless) to see what results I get which are again within the 4-6 range (2-3 for wireless). I've now tried new a new DSL cable to the router, and a new Ethernet cable to the PC just to see if there is any difference and nothing has changed.

So my questions are-Does the "sync speed" in the app actually mean anything real, or is it just some way for Vodafone to fob off customers by pretending that is what your download speed is and the problem is somewhere else?- Is there any other component that could be causing the slow down on my end?- Its likely I'm going to need to speak to Vodafone again, is there any better way for me to describe this problem to them so they will actually be able to help?

Thanks for reading and any tips or help is much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Hi .@MaxiBelas the "SyncSpeed" is effectively the line maximum capacity. What you experience can be a combination of: 

• the line from the exchange to the house
  • the remote system not sending to you quickly
  • the Voda infrastructure in the middle
  • how many other people are using Voda at the same time
  • the connections to the router in your house

Now some of these you can change, but the SyncSpeed is very unlikely to change unless OpenReach upgrade their physical stuff. The problems is that Voda use SyncSpeed as their metric when it is nothing at all like your real-life experience.

Jayach

Sync speed is, as said, the speed the router is connecting to the local cabinet at. There will be some overheads, but you should expect downloads of about 25-30Mbs on that sync.

How are you testing? Some speed test sites can give inconsistent results. Speedtest.net is usually reliable.

You mention a PC, is that the only device you use? Do you have a mobile phone and can you confirm the results on that.

Were you previously with a different ISP in your current property, and if so what speeds did you have with them?

You can also see the sync speed and other useful stats by logging into the router at 192.168.1.1.

lionatus
4: Newbie

DO NOT LISTEN to the general garbage from Vodafone. Its rote CS garbage. I was once a CSM and these guys have no actual REAL connection to anyone at Vodafone. I'm guessing but it will be true. Working from a rote sheet or crib or flowchart you get the same tailored responses. I was way back in the beginning a database and Network administrator and had to learn a lot. I apply this and Vodafone reverts always to the contract which they never sent me; I can't find a copy anywhere. I can find purchases on my emails way back to 2002 but no mention of a vodafone broadband contract but have plenty of confirmations including free gifts. I asked for my contract and was given a link which accessed my main account; STILL NO BROADBAND Account. All mobile stuff but no broadband.

Its hidden purposefully obviously. I know what I'm doing I know how the network works and I know the Vodafone CS people don't hence they revert to my non-existent contract when I get beyond the technical expertise of the crib sheets they have. EVERY online chat has failed to materialise as a transcript unless I record I'm happy with what happened. The 3 times I was NOT happy no emailed transcript despite requesting one; including using the new option highlighted by the letter icon. PLEASE SEE the following; I used to get circa 78-12 Mbps as I like you paid for the privilege of fast speeds. !st from SSE my old supplier and 2nd from Openreach, the owners of the lines.

Hello Mr Jeffrey,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I have checked and you were on 'Fibre Plus' with us.  This was not capped, only the standard 'Fibre' package would be capped and that would be at 40mbps.

I have also included below the speeds available to your line when using SSE as a supplier with Vodafone as a wholesaler.

As you can see, anywhere between 55 & 74mbps would be classed as acceptable for your line.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you are happy to close off this query after the information provided.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Alan,

I tried to call today but sadly could not get through. I am very sorry to hear that you are not experiencing the speeds you have had in the past but we would not cap your service as we only provide the network the service travels along.
If there are any restrictions on your service this will need to be raised to your provider who will manage this with us on your behalf.

It may be that you need a broadband engineer to attend to check the parameters of your current service but this should be visible to your provider and they would need to arrange any engineer visit.

I am sorry but this is not something we would manage here and we will need to guide you back to your provider to have this investigated as it is their service and you are their customer.

We will work with your provider to get this matter resolved if they feel they need our assistance.

I do hope this is all resolved soon

David Checkland 

Customer Resolutions Team
Openreach

VODAFONE due to the fact the contract I have which I can't access says my minimum is below what I receive. This despite the fact they advertise I can buy broadband at a guaranteed 59 on the same line??? EH? I buy a new line and I get a guaranteed minimum of 59 but I only get 44 max right now despite being top tier??? All I can say now is ' Arrr Jack me'lad there be gold' in there dem hills'