Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Gigafast questions

Heavenswake
4: Newbie

Hi every1, long time vodafone mobile user, very new vodafone broadband user.

I have a question regarding the Vodafone Gigafast speeds I am currently getting.

I had my installation today, the guys were very fast and friendly, answered alot of my questions, install where i wanted it, over all very happy with the service.

My question is regarding the speeds of so called gigafast service. I got the 900mbps package but the speeds ive been getting all day have been around the 240mbps to 260mbps download and upto 290mbps upload which is alittle lower than the advertised min guarrenteed speed of 450mbps, is this normal? being that they installed the cable to my home means that the distance to the green box down the road shouldnt matter correct?

I live in cheltenham which has just had the cityfibre finished at the end of april.

Any ideas? advice? havent contacted vodafone yet, wanted to ask around and see if this is normal or not 

Tnks for any reply/info

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ok all ty for the helpful info, i dont know whats changed or happened but just got home from work and tried another speedtest, 

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

Heavenswake
4: Newbie

I have to add one more thing that i am finding very strange.

I live in cheltenham, yet my IP address shows me as im living in london, or royston, or norwish and so on, ive never had a ISP that gave me a IP address that isnt showing me somewhere in cheltenham, or near cheltenham.

Having my location as london or SE, would that have anything to do with my speeds im getting?

Shouldnt my IP address location be somewhere near where i live?

FTTP should be provisioning much closer to the advertised speed than it is - you'll need to contact customer services for that one.

IP addresses themselves don't hold any geo-location data, the location is generally pulled from third party databases.  Vodafone allocates your IP address from a pool of UK IPs, so unfortunately the maximum resolution you get is that you are in the UK (and not Eire or India as has happened a couple of times).  Bad Geo-location does not affect your speeds or internet routing!

*According to the IP checkers I'm in Burnley and not in Cleveland - quite normal (for Vodafone).

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

How are you testing your speeds? If you're testing over WiFi you'll be limited by it's speed. Older laptops can also struggle. 

tnks all for the replies, very helpful information.

when talking abouth speed tests im using www.speedtest.net dont know if there is anything better. also used vodafones speed test @ https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/speed-test?. i also try my luck with steam game downloads which ive always had great results from, anything you all could advise? 

I got my computer connected direct to the VF router via ethernet cable. also tried speed test from my mobile and also a laptop to see if anything makes a difference

ok all ty for the helpful info, i dont know whats changed or happened but just got home from work and tried another speedtest, 

I'm having the same issue, the only time I got near advertised speeds was not long after Vodafone got round to activating my service after the CityFibre installer left.

Although my upload speeds are always just below 900mb, the download seems to be capped at around 300-400mb! The speediest starts at a higher speed and gradually decreases and stabilises to a lower speed. 

I am sure they are throttling/capping the download speed because the service is so over subscribed!

I do wonder if their forthcoming national footprint connectivity with CityFibre will bring about some improvements.

It's very frustrating because customer services keep bandying about the minimum speed guarantee - I'm certainly not getting anywhere near that when I do my speed tests whether via ethernet or wifi! 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting the speeds you expected @Gerry_Atric, if you're experiencing lower speeds through a WiFi connection this can be caused by interference from other electrical devices such as a Microwave, TV, Baby monitor, or Fish tank. Please ensure your router is situated away from any of these devices to receive the best coverage. The speeds you see on any speed test can also be affected by the number of devices do you have connected when you complete it as each active device will take up a little of your bandwidth. To get an accurate speed test result, please run the test through a wired connection whilst just 1 device is connected. If you're still experiencing lower than expected speeds, pop our Social Media team a message and we'll take a look into what's causing this for you.