Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Speeds vs EE Broadband

skyn3t
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello all,

Currently the max speed I have with Vodafone is 80mbits, but I've received an offer from EE that they can offer 300Mbits. 
How can they offer 300mbits using the same Openreach cabinet and Vodafone can't match the same speed? I believed everything that is "copper" was managed by BT / EE and Vodafone used the same cabinets like anyone else.

Using BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) I can see both max speeds available.

2022-05-04_18h10_25.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HelpfulBadger
11: Established

By the sounds of it EE is offering a G.Fast service, which technically uses the same cable between the cabinet and your phone socket, but is an entirely different way of actually communicating between the router and the equipment in the cabinet.

Vodafone has decided (as have most providers, including BT themselves) that they're not going to offer G.Fast, and only offer ADSL (old style, 8/24mbps max), FTTC (copper into the house, 38/78mbps max) and FTTP (38-900mbps) services - Openreach is a supplier and companies like Vodafone are the shopfront, while something may be available from Openreach Vodafone (and other ISPs) don't have to provide all of those services. Just like your local shop doesn't have to stock all the flavours of walkers crisps (bit of a weird analogy, but it probably works)

The only providers by my betting that will be able to offer 300mbps are EE and TalkTalk, and only the EE router natively supports talking the language that G.Fast uses (the TalkTalk one has another box to act as a modem)

Edit: I've just seen what you said the image is - I'm saying this without seeing it as it's awaiting moderation, so could be completely wrong

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

HelpfulBadger

By the sounds of it EE is offering a G.Fast service, which technically uses the same cable between the cabinet and your phone socket, but is an entirely different way of actually communicating between the router and the equipment in the cabinet.

Vodafone has decided (as have most providers, including BT themselves) that they're not going to offer G.Fast, and only offer ADSL (old style, 8/24mbps max), FTTC (copper into the house, 38/78mbps max) and FTTP (38-900mbps) services - Openreach is a supplier and companies like Vodafone are the shopfront, while something may be available from Openreach Vodafone (and other ISPs) don't have to provide all of those services. Just like your local shop doesn't have to stock all the flavours of walkers crisps (bit of a weird analogy, but it probably works)

The only providers by my betting that will be able to offer 300mbps are EE and TalkTalk, and only the EE router natively supports talking the language that G.Fast uses (the TalkTalk one has another box to act as a modem)

Edit: I've just seen what you said the image is - I'm saying this without seeing it as it's awaiting moderation, so could be completely wrong

And is the technology good?

Seems where I live I'll not get any true fiber for a couple years since it's Country Side.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

There are very few people on Gfast, it was supposed to be the next iteration of FTTC, but it relies on being very close to the cabinet and has been overtaken by FTTP. (it also needs extra equipment at the cabinet)

If you are close enough, I'm sure it will work well.

I'm in a very urban part of the county (Benfleet in Essex) but we aren't going to get FTTP for at least another couple of years because they are concentrating on getting it to the rural areas that are poorly served by FTTC.