Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

software for online speed test

phionex99
4: Newbie

hi there i was having trouble with my speed test through my browser i got hold of software by microsoft with Ookia speed test and it give you a good idea of your true speed i use all the time  even through my vpn

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cynric   Yes, code difference is the probable cause, reinforcing the fact that the desktop speed tester is probably always going to be the most accurate.

For S&Gs IPv6 speedtest 934/103, IPv4 speedtest 290/70 and routed via London!  *On BT now, so it's not only CityFibre that are doing some weird routing!

Going to change Conmon to point to an IPv6 now!

hi just to up date you don,t need software any more for 900mbps got my self a new to me pc with a intel corei5 tenth gen and now i get 936 down and 110 up all the time does not change i have got 944 down some times never below 900 😀😊

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Thanks for your post @phionex99 

So few people take account of their own hardware, when they complain about speed tests

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. If your device processor cannot manage the very large processing requirements of an online speed test it is common to get a wildly oscillating needle on the dial during  a test as well as tests with wildly varied results. This is why it is also important to ensure that your device isn't busy with some other processor-hungry activity during a test. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrimsonLiar You said, "*On BT now, so it's not only CityFibre that are doing some weird routing!"

It isn't CityFibre that is doing the weird routing. It is Vodafone. VF only use CF local networks to link into the VF national network. 

CityFibre do have their own future-proofed national network. There's a good selection of ISPs in this list that use CF's local and national network combined. CityFibre ISPs.  

Vodafone use both CityFibre and Openreach for their FTTP, but it seems almost exclusively those on CityFibre that have the issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrimsonLiar

I'm sorry, bad wording on my part. By "only" I meant that is all VF use CityFibre for. I know they use Openreach local networks too. In either case, the common factor is VF's national network.

You say that it is only those on CityFibre who are having 'trouble' as a result of weird routing. Have you data on that?

CityFibre are not involved in national routing for Vodafone. Vodafone don't use CityFibre's national network. CF's local networks don't have routing issues.