Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Corded phones and Vodafone landline

Mouseybrown60
2: Seeker

Will I be able to use my corded phones if I change to Vodafone gigafast Broadband?

9 REPLIES 9

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @Mouseybrown60, all of our Vodafone Gigafast broadband packages come with a landline service as standard 👍

Yes but the doorstep rep said that once I cancel my BT contract the landline from them would be cut off and we would need to buy a set of cordless phones in order to use the fibre landline. I've had conflicting advice from Vodafone. I don't want cordless phones though.

TJ

I'm not sure why they've advised that @Mouseybrown60 - even if you had a cordless phone, they do provide a wireless user experience. However, the base unit will still need to be wired up to your phone line and plugged in at the mains.

Thanks TJ. The rep called again yesterday. He said that one corded phone could be plugged into the router but none of the other 3 corded extensions would work so we would need cordless phones to use in other rooms. He said that they would work wirelessly via the gigafast router and the old BT extensions would be cut off once we cancelled the BT phone contract.

Then we went to John Lewis and one of their customer advisers told us that the rep was talking rubbish and that the corded extensions would still work. So we would are no further forward and we are still confused.

I don't know if it is relevant but at the moment our phone line is with BT and EE are our internet providers.

Wendy.

TJ

Right @Mouseybrown60 - I've been doing some digging! If it's a Gigafast connection you're looking at getting, then the phone line works through something called VOIP (voice over internet) and only one port is available into the router directly. This means the agent is correct and instead of the phones being connected to the wall socket - one will need to be in the router and cordless option would be best for the rest of the house. 

I have to admit, Gigafast certainly isn't my area of expertise; so I thought I'd get a definite answer for you. 

auser

It depends on how the extensions are connected.

If they are wired into your BT master socket then yes they won't work with the gigafast phone service until you connect it to the relevant port on the vodafone router.

Are they hardwired into the master socket or are they connected via a plug in adapter?

They are hardwired into a BT socket and 3 other extension sockets have been run off the master socket and we use corded phones.

Wendy

Then they won't work once you switch.

A possible way around that is to disconnect the extensions from the BT master socket and connect them all to a secondary socket such as:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-19862PB-Telephone-Extension-Terminals/dp/B00ID7V7IG/

Then connect that extension socket to the Vodafone router using either this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Wire-Telephone-Cable-White/dp/B008F7YH9U

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ornin-Telephone-Cable-Meters-White/dp/B07QPTHT18/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=rj11+t...

RAPR
1: Seeker

An adapter is provided by the installer for the land line phone. I had my router for gigs fast fibre installed yesterday. See photo from router packaging attached.