Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Digital voice adapters compatible with Vodafone

matthewjparker
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello.  I have just switched from BT to Vodafone FTTP with Digital Voice.  Does anyone know how to make BT Digital Voice Adapters (https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter) connect to a Vodafone router?  I am just seeking a means to connect the various wired telephones that I have around my home to the router so that I can still use them, as I did when I was with BT.  I have one telephone hardwired to the router but that just leaves me with one functioning telephone in the whole house.  Quite what the benefits of this Digital Voice system are, I do not know!  It is just a real pain in the backside!  Thanks in advance for your advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you still have the original phone wiring in place, that is the wiring used before you went to full fibre (FTTP), you should just need to run an RJ11 to BT cable between one of the TEL ports and a BT socket. (Something like this 3m RJ11 to BT Modem Cable Lead Telephone Phone Plug BT Socket 2 PIN Crossover 5060457589539 | eBay)

Or use the "internet" cable that came with the router and something like this RJ11 to BT Plug Adaptor - Connect ADSL DSL Cable to BT Telephone Phone Socket 5060457589744 | eBay

It might be prudent to disconnect the incoming feed from the master socket, just in case it is still connected back to the exchange.

I have to say I haven't tried this, as I don't have FTTP (and not likely to for at least 2 years) but can't see why it won't work.

View solution in original position

29 REPLIES 29

Hi so just to clarify, are you saying that you simply connect the router to the existing socket box through the use of this cable: RJ11 to BT Socket  i..e. so no re-wiring required?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Not sure who the question was directed at, but basically yes. However, it depends on if you are on FTTP, or FTTC.

On FTTP you would need to disconnect the redundant incoming line from the master socket.

On FTTC you will need to remove the extension wiring, from the master socket (being very careful NOT to disconnect the incoming line) and add a new socket (or another suitable connector) or make a patch cable to suit.

There is a new Master socket faceplate that will do the job for you, but it doesn't seem to be generally available yet. 

Edit: As @HelpfulBadger says the name for it is VRI (Voice re-injection) try searching on that, there are many useful pointers out there. VRI (Voice re-injection) - Google Search

Edit: Removed useless white space, no idea where it came from.

Yes, that's right.  Just disconnect all of the wires from the redundant master socket and install a 2-pin crossover lead between a BT phone socket and one of the Vodafone router's TEL sockets.  All of the existing BT extension sockets will now function with your existing touch-tone telephones.  This cable will do the job: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251064829846

They do now - I'm waiting for one!  BUT its not wireless like the BT one apparently - you have to plug it into the router I am told....... 

Sorry - but this does not work.  When I transferred to Vodafone (from BT FTTP with DV)  I asked if I need a DV adaptor and was told 'No..just plug your phone into the Tel socket on the router using the 'INTERNET' cable.  I did that with my DECT phone and got a dialling tone - all good!  WRONG. This setup allows you to make calls but you cannot recive them - the caller gets a 'Not valid number message'.  I got back to Vodafone - they told me that you can only plug a VOIP phone into the router.  If you have a DECT phone, you need a DV adaptor.  they said they would send me on - they didn't.  I complained and am now waiting for another one.  My old BT set up had a wireless DV adaptor that 'spoke' to the router and I just plugged my DECT phone into that.   

Jayach

@Bluejay99 wrote:

Sorry - but this does not work. 

It does in fact work,. If you can make calls, but others can't call you, that is a fault and needs to be investigated by Vodafone. The only thing the "DV adaptor" or so called "VoIP adapter" may cure is no ringing sound on the connected telephone. 

How to set up my home phone (vodafone.co.uk)

Thanks for your advice - but now I'm more confused than ever!  Let me explain my 'history'.  We had FTTC with BT then we upgraded to FTTP with BT but kept our landline on the old copper circuit as before.  Then BT said we had to go Digital Voice.  But our phone (DECT) base station with answer phone was not where the router was and we wanted to keep it there - so BT sent us a little wireless box  - -a DV adaptor' -that we powered near the base station and plugged the base station into it.  Presemably the adaptor 'talked' to the router and the phone worked just fine - as did the 2 standalone phones - as before.  Then we switched to Vodafone broadband last month.  I asked if we needed a new 'DV adaptor' - they said 'no' just plug the phone (base) into the router as per in the instructions.  That's what we did - then we find that we can make calls but we can't receive them! Vodafone said did you use the VOIP adapter - we said no - we followed the instructions and plugged the phone into the router using the 'Internet' cable - as per the instructions!  Vodafone said you can only do that with a VOIP phone (not a DECT phone) so we'll send you an adapter - which I'm still waiting for!  Aaaaagh!! So just to recap - you think I should just be able to plug my 'old' DECT phone into the router and that there is a line fault that means we can't make calls?  Most grateful any further advice you can offer!!  Cheers!         

Jayach

@Bluejay99 wrote:

So just to recap - you think I should just be able to plug my 'old' DECT phone into the router and that there is a line fault that means we can't make calls?  Most grateful any further advice you can offer!!  Cheers!         

Basically yes, that is what I think, but I thought you said you could make calls out but people couldn't call you.

@Bluejay99 wrote:

just plug your phone into the Tel socket on the router using the 'INTERNET' cable.  I did that with my DECT phone and got a dialling tone - all good!  WRONG. This setup allows you to make calls but you cannot recive them - the caller gets a 'Not valid number message'. 

The problem with using the internet cable is it doesn't have a "ring/bell capacitor" so some phones won't ring. They will receive the call, you just won't know. The other end will however hear a ringing tone. That is what the VoIP adapter cures. (as well as saving you having to change the cable)

If your problem is not as I understand it, please explain, but either way I don't think the "VoIP adapter" (see picture above) they will send you will make any difference.

Jayach

BT use a different, and rather more elegant, solution to using your own existing phones with digital voice by having the ATA external to the router and connecting it to the router wirelessly. 

Thank you very much again. Yes, should have said we cannot RECEIVE calls (you can tell how confused I've become!).   So yesterday, I went on their appalling chat again and simply reported a line fault - without mentioning any of my previous fruitless conversations with them!)  This time they seem to have passed it to the correct team to resolve the issue and have given me a ticket number and a team to contact - although they are supposed to be contacting me today.  Reading more widely, it seems as though this fault can be buried in all the cross-mapping of numbers/line that should have taken place when we transferred to Vodafone from BT.  Whatever, I'm hopeful it may be resolved now.  Still no sign of the 'VOIP adaptor' being despatched...... Many thanks again for your advice!