Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Digital voice adapters compatible with Vodafone

matthewjparker
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello.  I have just switched from BT to Vodafone FTTP with Digital Voice.  Does anyone know how to make BT Digital Voice Adapters (https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter) connect to a Vodafone router?  I am just seeking a means to connect the various wired telephones that I have around my home to the router so that I can still use them, as I did when I was with BT.  I have one telephone hardwired to the router but that just leaves me with one functioning telephone in the whole house.  Quite what the benefits of this Digital Voice system are, I do not know!  It is just a real pain in the backside!  Thanks in advance for your advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you still have the original phone wiring in place, that is the wiring used before you went to full fibre (FTTP), you should just need to run an RJ11 to BT cable between one of the TEL ports and a BT socket. (Something like this 3m RJ11 to BT Modem Cable Lead Telephone Phone Plug BT Socket 2 PIN Crossover 5060457589539 | eBay)

Or use the "internet" cable that came with the router and something like this RJ11 to BT Plug Adaptor - Connect ADSL DSL Cable to BT Telephone Phone Socket 5060457589744 | eBay

It might be prudent to disconnect the incoming feed from the master socket, just in case it is still connected back to the exchange.

I have to say I haven't tried this, as I don't have FTTP (and not likely to for at least 2 years) but can't see why it won't work.

View solution in original position

21 REPLIES 21

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I had not seen those BT digital voice adapters, do you need one for each phone? 

I doubt it is compatible with the Vodafone router.

Are your various phones standard BT type corded phones? If you still have the normal phone extension wiring, you can connect that to the TEL socket on the router and use them in the old manner.

Otherwise use DECT phones and connect the base station to the router.

Thanks for your reply Jayach.  Yes, you need one of the BT adapters for each telephone which then link to your router via WiFi.  I have DECT phones in the house already but do like to have ordinary corded phones as well as they offer better call quality.  Any ideas on how to get connect the existing extension wiring into the TEL socket of the router?  I saw some "concept" on a forum whereby a guy had rewired his master socket to connect with the router, therefore enabling use of existing extension sockets, however this was not very detailed.  It's a shame that a company doesn't produce adapters similar to the BT ones which are universal.  There would be a very big market for those with the whole country migrating to digital voice within the next three years!

If you still have the original phone wiring in place, that is the wiring used before you went to full fibre (FTTP), you should just need to run an RJ11 to BT cable between one of the TEL ports and a BT socket. (Something like this 3m RJ11 to BT Modem Cable Lead Telephone Phone Plug BT Socket 2 PIN Crossover 5060457589539 | eBay)

Or use the "internet" cable that came with the router and something like this RJ11 to BT Plug Adaptor - Connect ADSL DSL Cable to BT Telephone Phone Socket 5060457589744 | eBay

It might be prudent to disconnect the incoming feed from the master socket, just in case it is still connected back to the exchange.

I have to say I haven't tried this, as I don't have FTTP (and not likely to for at least 2 years) but can't see why it won't work.

Hiya,

Jayach is right, it's more than possible to connect the TEL output of the router into the existing phone wiring, providing you do disconnect the existing phone line coming into the house (OpenReach does check for external power/incorrect backfeeding). This means that while the phone service is stil being provided by the router, you can use all your existing phone sockets.

OpenReach does offer to do this for you when you have FTTP installed, but it requires a premium appointment (which Vodafone probably don't know how to offer) and of course for the ramifications to be properly explained when you order.

If you're googling for more info, the OpenReach term is Voice Re-Injection (or VRI).

Edit: I've just seen you asking for a little more detail, I can't be certain, but I'd imagine all the OpenReach engineer does is take an RJ11 cable, and splice it into your extension punchdowns inside your master (or indeed any other) phone socket and disconnect the incoming phone line to prevent damage to your (or less likely, their) equipment. using an RJ11 to BT Phone plug and just plugging the phone plug into a socket should work, but you wont be able to use that socket unless you have a phone splitter, and if the incoming phone line is still connected it may damage the router (as the incoming phone line will have voltage on it if it's still connected in the cabinet/exchange) although the router should be able to reject it who knows when all TelCo routers are built down to a price.

Thanks so much for your valued advice, guys.  I will try and disconnect the incoming redundant line at the master socket then and see what happens.  I shall report back once I have the relevant components!  Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my conundrum; I really appreciate it.

@HelpfulBadger Thanks for the info, I didn't know Openreach had a name for it.

Thanks so much for your solution regarding this problem, Jayach.  I can confirm (for everyone else with the same problem) that by disconnecting all of the wires from the redundant master socket and installing a 2-pin crossover lead between a BT phone socket and one of the Vodafone router's TEL sockets, all of the existing BT extension sockets will now function with your existing touch-tone telephones and you can make and receive calls as you did before the advent of digital voice with BT or Vodafone.  All for the princely sum of £1.99.  Excellent work, Jayach!

You could have done the same with the BT system, and wouldn't have needed to purchase the BT Digital Voice Adapters. They do know how to fleece their customers.

Yes, I quite agree!  Why on earth don't they provide this solution to their customers?  Like you say, they are more driven by selling their customers some over-engineered and pricier solution to generate more profits!  One of the many reasons I left BT and am now saving £20 per month for a superior broadband connection speed!