Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I plug my phone into router?

Chucklechops
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

This may be a stupid question but here goes: So I got Gigafast installed the other day but the guys couldn't complete the installation because the line was down. Broadband is working now.

Seems that you connect your phone to the router rather than the box on the wall. The sockets on the Vodafone hub are RJ11, however, and my phone has a standard BT431 like most UK phones.

How do I plug my phone in?

34 REPLIES 34

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Our dedicated Fibre team may be able to clarify this for you @JohnSw. You can reach out to them directly by calling  08080 034 515 free from any UK mobile or landline 👍 I'd recommend speaking to them before you make any purchases. 

Almost a year on from the other messages in this thread and this is still a problem. No way to connect a phone to the router.

I phoned that number you suggested... It is one of the worst customer support experiences I have ever had.

The person I was talking too clearly was not in possession of the information needed and she repeatedly told me to connect the phone by wifi. 

I was then told to phone the tech team on the "go live" day. I wanted to get this sorted before my 83 year old father is left without a phone line.

We then had a futile exchange of account security details... It seems that I have to answer my Dads security details despite being an authorised representative.

So looks like I have two choices... Cancel the account or buy a cable.

Great service guys... Keep up the good work.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@heathhh wrote:

Almost a year on from the other messages in this thread and this is still a problem. No way to connect a phone to the router.

Is your dad getting FTTP installed? If so the installers are expected to supply the adapter cable. (I am not sure the installers know this, but it seems to be what Vodafone expects)

Otherwise an adapter cable is pretty cheap. rhinocables® RJ11 Plug to BT Socket with tail Telephone Adaptor White: AmazonSmile: Electronics

If your dad currently has Careline or similar be aware they may not work with VOIP lines.

Thanks for the response..

He already has FTTP (that's what was pre-installed in his retirement flat). He is switching from BT, so no engineer visit required.

Glad I decided to walk him through the router swap over before the go live day, otherwise I would have not know until it was too late.

Jayach

How was/is the phone connected when on BT?

Via the ONT (fibre modem) phone socket. 

I was under the impression (I could be very wrong) that this doesn’t work with the Vodafone service ( and newer BT installs - my ONT phone port is dead And I have to use the smart hub 2 port).

Jayach

@heathhh wrote:

Via the ONT (fibre modem) phone socket. 

I was under the impression (I could be very wrong) that this doesn’t work with the Vodafone service ( and newer BT installs - my ONT phone port is dead And I have to use the smart hub 2 port).

I think you are probably correct and the phone socket on the ONT will no longer work. (But I also don't know for certain that is true, and as you have found, asking Vodafone is pointless).

Looks like you will need to get an adapter cable in preparation for the day, or stay with what you know works.

If you tell B.T what Vodaphone are offering, they may try to match it. Make sure you get through to retentions (or what ever they call it) as they are able to make the best offers.

Thanks for the reply. 

BT retentions called my Dad. BT were ripping off an old man. They are charging him £65 for what we will get for £30 on Vodafone. 
They couldn’t match it. 

I have ordered the adapter recommended on this thread. He should have it before he goes live. 

Thanks for your help!

Jayach

Good luck, hope it goes well. Let us know, it will be helpful should others ask a similar question on swapping from BT.

Edit: Out of interest, what service are you going for?

The service is : Superfast 2 plan.

Latest update:

Vodafone called back and said that we should plug the phone into the socket on the ONT.  I can confirm this does NOT work. The phone port on the ONT is dead.

You do require the adapter cable to plug into the back of the router. I haven't tested this yet, as the order from amazon was lost in shipping and my Dad has no land line.

So advice for anyone else.... Don't bother calling Vodafone they are clueless. You need an adapter cable and plug your phone into the back of the router.