Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline phone with own router on FTTP

bruce_miranda
4: Newbie

Just got FTTP and everything is working fine off the VF router. Phone lines are plugged into the VF router, VF router's WiFi is switched off. 3rd party Mesh has been switched to Bridge mode and plugged into the VF's ethernet port.

However I am shocked at how feature poor the VF router is. e.g. There are no Parental controls at all. I know I can get rid of the VF router and plug my own Mesh router into the Openreach ONT, but what about the Landline. 

Are there any 3rd party routers in the market that have a telephone socket at the back to allow the home phone to be plugged in? 

663 REPLIES 663

I've followed all the instructions in this thread. I get a dial tone and the phone rings when I call from a mobile, however, there is no audio. Calls work without a problem with the Vodafone router.

My apologies if I am missing something obvious, but would it not be possible to use the Tel1/2 port on the router for the phone service, switch off the WiFi, and then daisy-chain the third-party WiFi router for the other functions?

You can have only 1 router on the network. Daisy chaining another WiFi device will not give you all the Advanced features of a Router that aren't available on the Vodafone router because it is your Router. Putting in your own Router instead of the Vodafone one is absolutely possible but then most Routers don't expect to be VOIP gateways too. Hence the need to then add another device to deal with the telephone. The Vodafone box is a router, WiFi AP as well as telephone gateway. Remove it, and you need a solution for all of them.

I am confused by this because (while I wait for my fttp service to be installed) I already have the new TG3000(?) router installed and connected to my wired LAN. The router lives in the first-floor cupboard laughingly known as Node Zero and below it in another cupboard on the ground floor there is an old TP-link wireless access point which works fine with a number of 'smart home' devices. It is effectively 'daisy-chained' via the LAN. It seems to me that the ethernet side of the router is just a switch; as it happens, three of the four ports are used as part of the LAN.

Would it not be possible to (say) switch off the WiFi on the router, swap the WAP for a new shiny super router/mesh or whatever. And, importantly, connect my existing PBX to port Tel1 on the router. Or even leave the WiFi switched on?

Or am I missing something?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You are missing the point that the TP-link is an access point, not a router. (well, it may be a router in AP mode)

That means it just provides the W-Fi (and some extra switch ports). If you use a router you will be double nat-ing.

For most people that may not cause a problem, but it is best avoided.

Ripshod

The other point being missed is the voip traffic is routed to to the built-in ATS by the  THG3000 and doesn't make it out onto the lan, whether a phone is connected or not. 

Most people do not realise that today these single ISP boxes are a Modem, Router, Switch, WiFI AP and Telephone gateway. When you use it with FTTP, the modem is separated but all the other functions are still retained by the Vodafone single box. 

You can absolutely put another WiFi AP behind the Vodafone router and switch the WiFi off on the Vodafone router. Many people use this especially if they want to use a Mesh or multiple WiFi APs. But they get connected in Bridge mode.

In that case, you are still using the Vodafone box as a Router, Switch and Telephone gateway. This means you are still severely limited by the Vodafones router capabilities. This thread was about completely removing the Vodafone equipment from the chain and using your own router, thus gaining complete control on your network. This bit has been easy. What happens is that you lose the ease of just plugging your Telephone into Tel1/2 because most 3rd party routers won't have them. Hence you need to plug something else into the network to deal with the VOIP Telephone side of things, something that the single Vodafone box does for you today.

@Jayach @bruce_miranda 

I have just recently got the FTTP service with Digital Voice and have requested a static IP, which VF are going to set up. To use digital voice I connect my old ADSL phone to the VF Full Fiber router via the green "TEl 1" port. My ADSL phones are fairly old and I am want to replace them with new ones and ideal would like to use DECT IP phones. The system I am looking at has a base station with an ethernet port which connects directly to the LAN (router ethernet port), and then the handsets are paired with is base station.

I am not wanting to use my own router, just connect DECT IP phones to the VF Full Fiber router via ethernet and not use ADSL phones via the TEL 1 port. IS this possible with the methods mentioned on this thread?

I have attach a picture of the settings page of the gateway.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gateway settings.png

Jayach

Your image hasn't been moderated yet, but I'm not an expert with VoIP so it probably wouldn't mean much to me.

I presume your current phones are working in the TEl port, as that proves the VoIP is setup correctly by Vodafone.

Whilst what you propose is technically possible, nobody (AFAIK) has managed to get the configuration required to get anything other than Grandstream devices working. (well done to whoever that was)

You could get a DECT/IP phone and use it with another VoIP service, but not Vodafone's at the moment.

Standard DECT phones that would normally connect to a BT/Openreach socket will work fine from the TEL sockets.

Ripshod

If you're going to keep using the vodafone router then the only way to use Vodafone's digital voice serviceis via the Tel sockets. 

Even if you get your own router the Yealink won't work.