Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline phone with own router on FTTP

bruce_miranda
4: Newbie

Just got FTTP and everything is working fine off the VF router. Phone lines are plugged into the VF router, VF router's WiFi is switched off. 3rd party Mesh has been switched to Bridge mode and plugged into the VF's ethernet port.

However I am shocked at how feature poor the VF router is. e.g. There are no Parental controls at all. I know I can get rid of the VF router and plug my own Mesh router into the Openreach ONT, but what about the Landline. 

Are there any 3rd party routers in the market that have a telephone socket at the back to allow the home phone to be plugged in? 

663 REPLIES 663

I'm using the specific SIP proxy that was supplied to me directly by vodafone, not one that I got from the internet. :Sad_face:

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Thanks for the heads-up. This should work (even though it says HT801 - typo).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ymBwjfvNe51z8K7mLv7lT5dRxmlQIOw/view?usp=drivesdk 

Thank heavens, just the link expired.

Fantastic, thank you!

Seems like the culprit to no outgoing calls was "Use P-Access-Network-Info Header". Setting that to No seems to have fixed outgoing calls, although they're a little intermittent.

I've got it set up with a NAT IP, and interestingly I don't have to forward any ports on my router for it to work both incoming and outgoing. SIP ALG also doesn't seem to make a difference to anything, interestingly. I would've expected forwarding to be necessary for incoming calls, but they seem to work fine.

Still can't figure out why outgoing calls take a few attempts to work, though.

Further update, setting "Outgoing call without registration" to yes lets me make the call every time, and my mobile rings. However, even though I can hear the landline on the mobile, I can't hear the mobile on the landline. Also there's no ringing tone.

I am very confused.

Ok, after a lot of debugging and reading the syslog I'm still pretty stuck.

It seems like when dialling out, there's a chance that Vodafone just throws a 403 error and my connection doesn't go through. I have absolutely no idea why.

I've now had a pretty clear error on the SIP log;

SIP/2.0 407 Proxy Authentication Required

Any idea what this could possibly be? It seems like sometimes it just doesn't like the outgoing call and doesn't authenticate for some reason.
Looking at the CDR there is quite literally nothing different between the calls. For some reason, some authenticate fine and other don't.

Im having the same issue, mine has worked for months but lately outbound calls work sometimes, other times they don't authenticate. Nothing has changed my side so can't think what it could be. 

Ripshod

@Jademalo @jackmcgrath have you been assigned an IPv6? What's the first number of your WAN IPv4?

If the first answer is yes, and the second answer is other than CG-NAT then it would be worth disabling the IPv6 on your router. Vodafone's system likes to prioritise IPv6 over IPv4 to the extent that IPv4 seems to completely drop out of use at times.

No IPv6, and I'm using a TP-Link Deco BE65 as my router with the PPPoE details set so I can entirely disconnect the Vodafone router. That's the whole reason why I wanted a separate VOIP device, honestly.

IPv4 WAN address is a static IP that I requested, and I've got that set in the Grandstream options with NAT traversal set to No. Other methods of NAT traversal didn't seem to work for me at all.

Xjacko
4: Newbie

My situation with the Grandstream 801 has improved slightly.  Since I deleted 'Vox 3.0' from SIP User-Agent  then I added my router IP to 'Use NAT IP' I can now make outgoing calls from my landline successfully but it I may a call to my landline (from my mobile for example)  it rings through my earpiece on my phone my side but there is still nothing coming through to the landline, if I answer my landline whilst this call is in progress I just get a dial tone. Strange!