main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Landline

Landline port incomplete

Stubbo

Hey @ColinD 

Great to hear our Customer Relations team were in touch and gave you a call! If you need a hand with anything else, just drop us a post 😁

View more options
AlistairS
3: Seeker

This sounds similar to the issue I'm having.  Moved from Virgin Media in May.  I can make outgoing calls but can't recieve them.  I have been in touch with 1st and 2nd line support and getting nowhere.

Just had a chat message ftrom 1st Line support telling me that the fault ref ticket I was given has been automatically closed without resolution!

View more options
ColinD
4: Newbie

You may be better off if no one can contact you.

They can check the number associated with the line by giving you a BT code 17070.

This may or may not give you the answer you want, but you will be in a better position to talk to the helplines.

The ball had been dropped several times. I raised the non resolution through a form on he web site and they did contact me 2 weeks rather than 2 days later. I now have a complaints portal which I hope works better than the methods used elsewhere.

If they do not respond as promised raise it again as soon as the time specified expires. Their system appears to have no memory and will happily time things out.

I do not think this is covered by their scripts and you seem to have to go back to square one repeatedly and I have not found any magic way of avoiding this.

View more options
Beth

Hi @AlistairS, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline. If you haven't already, please free feel to contact our Customer Care team here and they'll be able to re-raise the ticket for you, if it hasn't be done already. Please let us know how you get on 🙂

View more options
AlistairS

Hi @Beth,

I raised a complaint  ticket over the weekend as I was gettting nowhere with  first and second line support.

Not been contacted yet though

View more options
ColinD

After several stutters and false starts, With me forcibly insisting that testing the line for the hundredth time is not going to solve the problem.

I have now embarked on the dangerous process of taking a temporary number then hopefully reclaiming my number I held since 1978 in two weeks time.
Vodafone has not been able to describe how this will work, but have said if I do not do this some people will never be able to contact me.
The process has now started. The temporary number is accessible from our mobiles. We can dial out. Our old number is unavailable.
So far so good.
We asked our son to phone from his mobile. He is now able to reach us on the temporary number (this is the first time since 20 February), but he still received ring tone from our old number.
Should I expect anything to change before our number is reclaimed in two weeks time?

I will report back on the success or otherwise of the enterprise.

A phone where you can never be certain that someone can reach you is never going to be satisfactory. I wonder how many people are in blissful ignorance of this? Because one of the people was our son and then we heard from another person worried we never answered our phone we could have gone on for years not realising.

View more options
AlistairS

Still, not heard back within the 48 hour frame the complaints team.

The only reason I know about the landline was my father had tried calling it and assumed my number had changed when he couldn't get through.   Fair enough, everyone else uses Whatapp to contact me.  However, it all boils down to paying for a service that can't be used as intended.

View more options
ColinD

It is difficult for a bank to contact you on whatsapp, or a docotor, or innumerable other people have a legitimate reason to do so.

Having to change your number is an inconvenience and should not be needed in normal circumstances. Number porting issues can and should be reported to OFCOM and they agree it is a disincentive to people changing provider.

Their mantra is that competion ensures an effective market.

Their monitoring of the problems people end up with is in my opinion not very well thought out and things going on behind closed doors not transparent.

It will soon be a reqirement to have a smart phone as well as internet access.

Have you confirmed your phone line number by dialling 17070. If this is your old number and your father phones this and gets ring tone, but your phone does not ring then you have a split port and there potentially thousands of people who phoned and all think you are out/ignoring them/that you don't have an answer phone.

Perhaps Vodafone need to set up a special group that investigates these. The alternative is many many hours of frustrating  attempts to sort it out.

Good luck.

View more options
ColinD

Update on my landline problem

Feeling very frustrated with the whole process.

I have had to repeatedly drive the process on as nothing seems to happen as promised and I had a limited time for which it was possible to have a temporary number.

I now have my original number back and it appears to work as before.

everything appears to work apart from a few people not being able to reach us.

is it worth waiting for it to settle?

there is an expedite process for number porting, but this has not been mentioned?

I am due a call back on Sunday is there anything I can suggest?

View more options
Mark

Hi @ColinD 👋 Without access to your account we'd be unable to view the notes left and actions that have already been taken. So we can discuss this privately and take a look, please contact us via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK and we'll be happy to help.

View more options
ColinD

Thanks for the offer. Bethany phoned today, so things are still ongoing.

My son phoned again to check the problem is still there-- it is!

Bethany promised to phone back again tomorrow with an update.

Very difficult to know where the right people within Vodafone are and how they tackle problems that are not routine and probably require action outside the company.

However, a phone that can NEVER be reached by some people is not a resolution and I presume not what was promised by OFCOM what encouraging people to switch.

View more options
MarkD

Hi @ColinD Did Bethany manage to get everything sorted? If you still need a hand, our Social Media team would love to help. Just send us a message using the details provided by @Mark 😊

View more options
ColinD

Bethany should give me an update today at 13:00.

From elsewhere it looks like a solution is possible.

Not really for me to diagnose but

• the consensus is that Openreach are not the problem
  • the voice teams at TalkTalk and Vodafone need to thrash it out between them
  • If all this fails .moving to BT may solve the problem as they own the number
  • OFCOM do nothing, but promise much
  • CISAS are not good at technical issues (I had attempted to find out what had gone wrong from the TalkTalk end) the statement "manual error" was considered sufficient to explain months of frustration. 
  • OFCOM say Vodafone as the new provider are responsible for sorting it out

.Let's hope Bethany brings good news.

View more options
ColinD

Even more line checking going on before phone call from Bethany around 1530.

The reason given to me is (as far as I can understand it is)

• TalkTalk have seized the number and so preventing subscribers to their network calling me
  • The Openreach engineer is going to do something at the cabinet on Monday then come to the house
  • Vodafone will call on Wednesday to check it has worked

I was unable to speak with anyone who can convince me this is going to work, but at least is action of sorts.

View more options
ColinD

Openreach engineer arrived Monday 24 August

• Checked line, no problem with line.
  • Went to the exchange Switched equipment Vodafone to Vodafone at local exchange/MDF no change with my test case
  • Engineer talked to Openreach Porting. Some anomaly but no change with my test case
  • Escalation within Openreach

Progress or not progress? Always difficult to know how how the organisations work and it seems very unclear what happens and who is responsible beyond the MDF (where your physical line is patched in what used to be your local exchange).

View more options
ColinD

Much much later...

Still not resolved. Porting appearts to be much more complex than I thought. But a fault is a fault. Pretending it isn't there is extremely frustrating

Vodafone do not appear to be in control of their subcontractors (i.e. OPENREACH).

Customer illustrates problem. OPENREACH performs test that would not be impacted by problem. Therefore problem does not exist!

Repeatedly looking in the wrong place is not smart and will never resolve the issue.

I assume somebody within Vodafone must understand a complex issue, but how can a customer reach them?

Perhaps I should ask the CEO (again).

Can anyone help?

View more options
Stubbo

Hey @ColinD 

I understand this has taken much longer than it should have done, thanks a lot for your patience. As @MarkD mentioned, we would need to have a look at your account in order to get to the bottom of this. Could you please give our Social Media team a message, you can find out how to do this here

Let us know how you get on!

View more options
ColinD

Contact link didn't link.

I have been repeatedly refused access to any person you had the technical expertise to understand and explain the issue.

I have discovered that moving from one provider to another is actually very complicated (Reality of porting).

Essentially the problem started when I moved from TalkTalk to Vodafone on the 20 February. I know that Openreach connected me to Fibre To The Cabinet as my data rate jumped up. Also I started to be billed for calls by Vodafone. However, TalkTalk continued to bill me, claimed they were still providing my service.

• The problem may be unusual, but it is serious and can be demonstrated repeatedly on demand (as was done to the Openreach engineer who was sent to investigate).
  • I can make calls and receive calls from many people.  In my opinion this demonstrates it is not a line problem. However, Vodafone have tested it innumerable times and have declared there is no problem with my service because it passes this test.
  • The problem manifests itself by people saying I never answer their calls and I have no answer phone. In fact my phone never rings when they call. I have confirmed this with my son using his mobile while sitting in our lounge. I replicated the fault with 3 people as requested by Vodafone. These people have never been able to reach me since I joined Vodafone.
  • There have been other cases where institutions have claimed they have phoned me but I have not received anything (I cannot verify whether they made the attempt or not but some have resorted to using my mobile number)
  • Vodafone say they have removed the minimum time limit on my contract (so I can move elsewhere presumably BT would find it easier to sort out as they own the number from over 40 years ago) but then say this was an offer subject to me closing the complaint. I will probably do this, but my son has raised the problem with his mobile provider. At the moment they are taking a much more professional approach than either Vodafone or TalkTalk so I will see if they can sort it out.
  • Vodafone promised the problem would be taken forward by one person so I would not have to repeat the explanation every time. Unfortunately they have not done so and the complaint handlers have not looked at the case sufficiently to hold a proper conversation. There certainly are a lot of complaints handlers.
  • Vodafone appear to be either incapable off admitting they can't solve the problem (which I now know is understandable) or in denial that there are people with similar problems.
  • Vodafone argued against a simpler system proposed by Ofcom for dealing with number porting.
View more options
ColinD

Have spoken to OFCOM yet again and they still say it is for Vodafone to sort out.

I presume they do have people internal to the organisation that can understand these issues (even if they are not in Customer Service or Technical Support).

If they can't be reached by going up, I presume they can be reached by going to the top and coming down.

I note that OFCOM have taken Vodafone out of special measures for their customer service, perhaps they were premature.

This is a hard repeatable fault that appeared on my switching.

I am working my way through the regulations and awaiting my SAR request before going to CISAS with the whole unsatisfactory saga.

I am requesting durable documents, particularly where I have been told different things by different people.

View more options
ColinD

Vodafone decided to address the problem and misrepresented it as only applying to the three specific numbers they science to provide.

They refused to correspond with me and threatened any Vodafone employee who tried to help me with disciplinary action. I did provide them with evidence that other people on the TalkTalk network could not contact me, but they ignored this and refused my request to escalate the problem.

Their choice was to refer it to CISAS safe in the knowledge that they could limit their loss.

Also they falsified their own records to say that the fault was cleared.

You could not make this up, Their arrogance is only matched by the likes of the Post Office with Horizon, but at least I wasn't likely to end up in prison.

I moved to BT and it was a complete revelation that a fault was taken seriously and seen through to its successful conclusion without any anxiety on my part.

I don't know if this has uncovered a problem that will now be solved for others. I hope so, because the process has been a strain on my health.

I do not believe Vodafone has learnt anything and put great ingenuity and effort in not addressing the problem.

View more options