Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New FTTP installation - phone cut-off and missing ringback tone

sheriffbuck
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

New installation down in Verwood, Dorset. OpenReach installed FTTP ready for Vodafone to activate BB and Digital Voice service 2 week ago today.

BB appears to be working fine. Ping test consistent 10ms with no obvious connection drops.

Digital Voice is a bit of a mess. Line "appears" to be working in that calls come in and can be made, but suffers two issues:

1. No ring-back tone is heard from callers calling the LL number. They dial the number, but they get silence rather than "ring ring". House phones ring fine, but often caller hangs up because they assume there is a problem because they don't get the ringing tone on their handset.
  2. All outgoing calls get cut off after 29 minutes and 28 seconds duration. A tone is heard on the LL at the point of cut-off, then silence. Router shows call in progress. Receiving handset is disconnected.

Been passed around the houses for over a week with Tier 1 support who really didn't know what to do. I kept getting fobbed off by being told it's an OpenReach installation issue, or my router needed to be reset/upgraded/reflashed/turned upside down to pour out the problems....

I suspect it's an issue with Vodafone's SIP gateway service which has nothing to do with OpenReach, but I'm no expert here.

Finally got engagement from Tier 2 on Friday with a ticket number and a direct line. Ran some tests for them on Sunday, so sitting in wait for a response.

I wanted to get this posted in case others were having a similar issue and nothing was showing up in Internet searches.

I was told by one call handler that the problem had been reported by other users.

43 REPLIES 43

MarkD

Hi @sheriffbuck, we're sorry to hear about your experience trying to get this sorted, as of now, I've not come across any other reports of these issues. If you've got a ticket raised with the broadband technical team, they'll be in touch as soon as they have an update for you. It would be helpful to other users if you could let us know the outcome when you speak with the team. 

Yes. I plan to keep this thread updated. I'm hoping for an update later today.

I've had similar issues since my installation in County Durham last week so I'm very interested in hearing how this is resolved. BB is working fine, landline phone sends and receives calls ok.

I've found that calling the landline from a mobile gives the usual "ring-ring" tone for the dialler. It's silent for the caller when calling from another landline (NB, I've only been able to test from 2 landlines so far).

I've only had one instance of a call being cut off after about 30 min so far but it happened in the same way as the OP said.

Hi @jozxyqk76, thanks for posting. The call that cut off, was this made by yourself or was it an incoming call? Have you have any calls last over 30 minutes? If this does happen again, if you have access to the call length, could you let us know this please? The OP outgoing calls are being cut off on 29 mins and 28 seconds, it will be interesting to see if your calls are being cut off at the same point 🙂

I made 2 outgoing calls this evening and both were cut off at around the 29 min mark. I noticed when I signed into my Vodafone account that it has broadband listed but there's no sign of the landline. When I had FTTC I could see both.

I'll get onto the customer support chat and try to raise a ticket. I suspect something went wrong with the product transfer / setup.

@sheriffbuck, this is not what we like to hear, we always aim to give great customer service no matter channel you decide to contact us on. We would love to review your experience and see where we're at with the ticket. Please send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter with your Community username or a link to this thread, you can find the contact details here

@jozxyqk76, how did you get on when you contacted our support team yesterday? Has a ticket been raised for investigation? 

@MarkDIt took while to navigate the online chat but eventually had someone run some tests, they said there was a fault but didn't elaborate. They've escalated to the 2nd line team and raised a ticket. Hopefully it will be resolved faster than the OP's issue.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for keeping us updated @jozxyqk76 - let us know if you do need anything else 👍 

I have a similar problem.  All outgoing calls I make to any number landline or mobile gets cut off after being on a call  for 29 minutes and 28 seconds.  I have been with Vodafone for just over month. I reported it to Vodafone and have a ticket number.   been waiting over 2 weeks for this to be resolve.  I have been promised updates but only had 1 in a week.   This is now becoming very annoying.

No problem with incoming calls.