Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Simple guide to connecting a phone to FTTP please

Gorilla68
2: Seeker

I'm a new customer of Vodafone fibre (FTTP) and have a Wifi Hub. During the upgrade I asked to retain my old landline phone number.

I'm struggling to understand what phones can be plugged into the Wifi Hub. I note there are ports on the back of the Hub marked TEL1 and TEL2. I have purchased a converter to plug into the TEL1 port that then allows me to plug an "old" UK type phone into the converter. I've tried various (old) phones but none can get a dial tone.

Does the phone being plugged in have to be a VOIP phone? Or does the Wifi Hub handle the necessary conversion from non VOIP phone to the Vodafone network? i.e. does the Wifi Hub include a VOIP adaptor?

As I've never had the phone working since my FTTP upgrade I'm not certain that the phone line setup was done correctly so might be be being confused by a non working line. Is there a way I can check this without having a phone that has a dial tone?

Thanks for any assistance - currently pretty confused!

45 REPLIES 45

Btgraphite
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

We have just signed up to Vodafone Essentials fibre 1 . We have a relatively modern Digital BT Graphite 2500 Trio Landline phone that will not work with Vodafone Voice through the Router, No Line on the phone screen.

We phoned Vodafone helpline and was told that their system is not compatible with BT phones.

I find this incredible as from 2025 all phones will have togo through broadband routers. There will be millions of phones that will not work.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Btgraphite 

Your phone is just a standard DECT system and will definately work with the Vodafone router, ignore what Vodafone tell you, the agents really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the digital voice. (presumably bad training/poor crib-sheet?)

As @Ripshod alludes to, if the PHONE led is not lit, they haven't configured it correctly

The phone light was on until I had an online chat with one of them and he insisted on resetting it and now the light is out .

Jayach

Sound like he has broken it, get back onto them and hope you get a better agent this time. The TEL sockets will not work, unless the PHONE led is lit.

Mahaladj

I totally agree Vodafone do not even ask the question regarding compatibility of existing phones when looking at moving to their Broadband they just ask if you want to keep your existing number - the kit arrives and guess what your WiFi land line phones are not compatible- trying to have this discussion will their customers service team is almost impossible as they don’t speak or understand English - they were unable to advise just what phone I need to buy just so  I can have my land line working - The existing BT WiFi phones I had to change to 2 years ago don’t work and won’t ever work - our telecommunications in the UK is a shambles - no one at Vodafone seems to be able to help they say I just have to plug the new phone in to the router but which one !!!! 

Jayach

A couple of inaccuracies in your post. 

@Mahaladj wrote
:I totally agree Vodafone do not even ask the question regarding compatibility of existing phones when looking at moving to their Broadband they just ask if you want to keep your existing number - the kit arrives and guess what your WiFi land line phones are not compatible-

Your previous analogue landline phones are definately compatible with the Vodafone router. You may not get the required adapter at first, but that doesn't mean they are incompatible.

@Mahaladj wrote:
The existing BT WiFi phones I had to change to 2 years ago don’t work and won’t ever work - 

If they are the BT digital voice phones, it should be possible to pair them to an alternative DECT base station and use them that way. They will lose any special BT features, but will work as basic phones.

@Mahaladj wrote:
no one at Vodafone seems to be able to help they say I just have to plug the new phone in to the router but which one !!!! 

Any standard analogue phone will work with the router, but for ease of connection you will need the "VoIP adapter" as Vodafone call it. Any DECT base should also connect the same way,Jayach_0-1703864415497.png