cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upggrade to fibre broadband has caused loss of my landline phones and Vodafone does nothing to help

ojos
4: Newbie

I have had Vodafone broadband for several years. This included a contract for my landline phones which I have many around the house connected to phone sockets in different rooms. It was all working 100% fine until the fibre upgrade.

When I spoke to Vodafone support a few months ago about my interest in upgrading to fibre they said that, by default, landline phones would then needed to be connected directly to the router. I explained that my phone plugs around the house had been installed by BT and when I joined Vodafone broadband engineers it took them several days to check and re-cable my landline sockets to ensure they all continued to work. Vodafone said that yes, they were aware that some customers needed to continue to use all landline phone sockets. This could be solved by fitting an adaptor to the router. They said a note was made against my account to ensure this will happen upon my upgrade to fibre.

My broadband upgrade was booked for the end of May. A week before the upgrade I called Vodafone and reminded them of my need to continue use of my landline sockets. They did some checks and said, while by default, my home sockets would not continue to work, the engineers could install an upgrade with appropriate additional work and this would ensure the fix. They sent a note to Openreach to say that appropriate installation had to be done to ensure my landline sockets continued to work.

Upon arrival of Openreach on the upgrade day I spoke to the engineers who stated that the upgrade would be done to ensure my landline phones continued to work. When the engineers left, the fibre was not yet working although all my landline sockets continued to work satisfactorily. It took about 24 hours for the fibre broadband to start working, but conversely my landline then totally ceased to work. I contacted Vodafone who assured me it could take a further couple of days for my landline to be fully initialised. However, it's now been about a fortnight and I've lost my landline for which I am paying Vodafone. Vodafone has come up with all kinds of dubious excuses but the bottom line is "tough luck, to use your landline you have to plug a phone directly into the router". They've shown not the slightest interest in explaining why they promised the necessary work would be done for my phone sockets to continue working. I've raised formal complaints but Vodafone just continue to sit on their backsides and do nothing. I'm now stuck paying for a landline which has just a single phone plugged into it which is pretty much useless to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jayach wrote:

@ojos wrote:

Call bull on Vodafone who were no help at all in getting the matter fixed. The tech team told me to get an ATA which they would provide upon the upgrade to fibre. 

They did, it's inside the THG3000 router.

Vodafone tech team a year ago clearly stated to me that I needed a separate (external) ATA which would have to be ordered,  delivered to me and installed by an engineer

I confirm my engineer has solved the landline problem by installing and configuring the necessary additions. My landline phones now work perfectly with the fibre broadband. Vodafone has compensated me for the cost of the fix by the engineer. Therefore I would like to close this discussion as the matter has been resolved

View solution in original position

70 REPLIES 70

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@ojos  May I repeat my request for details and pictures please? It really would help the general community.

@Cynric wrote:

@ojos  May I repeat my request for details and pictures please? It really would help the general community.

Sorry I don't have a picture or further details and I am not a technical expert on connecting plugged-in landline phones to fibre broadband. To obtain further technical information, I suggest you do this:

1 Ask Vodafone tech team who told me about a year ago (and prior to my fibre upgrade) that I needed to install an appropriate ATA to fix the problem. Ask them for details and pictures.
2 Ask a technical expert on landline phones which use fibre broadband to give you details and pictures of appropriate ATAs which can solve problems of connecting plugged-in landline phones to fibre. If necessary feel free to ask them to speak to the Vodafone tech team about their recommendation for details and pictures.

You may also be interested to know that I recently informed Vodafone of my success in getting an independent engineer to install an appropriate ATA (as previously recommended by their tech team) which totally fixed my plugged-in landline phone connection problems. Vodafone has now finally agreed to refund my costs in getting the ATA installed.

Cynric

@ojos  Gosh, surely you can grab a picture with your mobile?

@Cynric wrote:

@ojos  Gosh, surely you can grab a picture with your mobile?

No, I can't as the location makes it impossible. Please ask Vodafone tech team who explained to me about a year ago that I needed to have an ATA installed. I have had it installed now and it works perfectly. They should be able to give you all the details you need.

Ripshod

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic/personal information/inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

@Ripshod wrote:

Right, I'm calling bull!

Keep posting this bad information and no-one will trust anything you say. Evidence!! 

Call bull on Vodafone who were no help at all in getting the matter fixed. The tech team told me to get an ATA which they would provide upon the upgrade to fibre. However this didn't happen and the Vodafone complaints team said tough luck we have no idea at all how to get all your landline phones working again. They refused to pass the matter onto Openreach and told me it's entirely for me to fix the problem but suggested  I find a local telephone engineer and ask them to do whatever necessary to get all my landlines around the house working.

Can I trust what anyone tells me here when:
- I'm now being told in this forum that the Vodafone tech team who told me an ATA was required were liars
- Vodafone complaints team told me "tough luck we have no idea how to fix the problem - just find a local engineer to deal with the matter."
- I found the local engineer who (just like Vodafone support team) told me an ATA was required. He obtained and fitted it  It's now being suggested he was incompetent and an ATA was not required, Yet following the installation done by the engineer my old landline phones now work perfectly.

Jayach

@ojos wrote:

Call bull on Vodafone who were no help at all in getting the matter fixed. The tech team told me to get an ATA which they would provide upon the upgrade to fibre. 

I suspect you are not getting the gist of what you are told and thinking they means something different.

Yes, an ATA is required to use analogue phones on FTTP.

Yes Vodafone do supply one, but it is not separate to the router, it's part of the router.

@Jayach wrote:

@ojos wrote:

Vodafone tech team a year ago clearly stated to me that I needed a separate (external) ATA which would have to be ordered,  delivered to me and installed by an engineer

I confirm my engineer has solved the landline problem by installing and configuring the necessary additions. My landline phones now work perfectly with the fibre broadband. Vodafone has compensated me for the cost of the fix by the engineer. Therefore I would like to close this discussion as the matter has been resolved

Cynric

@ojos 

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic/personal information/inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

I confirm my engineer has solved the landline problem by installing and configuring the necessary additions. My landline phones now work perfectly with the fibre broadband. Vodafone has compensated me for the cost of the fix by the engineer. Therefore I would like to close this discussion as the matter has been resolved.

Discussion closed.