Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VOIP phone not hang up after caller does

andrewinstirlin
4: Newbie

Has anybody had a problem with gigafast VoIP not dropping line at end of an incoming call and making a a high pitched whine until the call is cancelled by me (by physically hanging up). It is most noticeable with answering machine where the message ends and the far end puts the phone down  and the whine starts  and continues until I physically hang up on my phone.

37 REPLIES 37

So, the latest...

Replaced the hard wire voip interface between the router and my home phone: no change.

Vodafone support called me back at the arranged date and time as a follow up, so that's a positive from them.

They called my home phone while listening on my mobile for what is happening to get an idea of the problem.

Tried manual rebooting of router by power on/off switch.

Tried manual reboot of router and fibre box by powering both off for thirty seconds: no change.

Tried factory reset of router and fibre box by depressing the reset buttons: no change.

Checked again after an hour as factory reset can take some time to fully reinitialise at their end: no change.

Now looking to purchase a cheap phone to determine the fault is not with my phone.

I tried different phone...not unsurprisingly itmade no difference....it's not.your phone that is the problem.....

Vodafone contacted me again at the arranged date and time, but as I have not been able to purchase a second replacement phone to try they are unwilling to pursue the matter until I do.

I guess the only option now is to accept that they will never be willing to investigate the problem until I invest in  a new phone, regardless of whether this is the issue or not. They are not willing to put this demand in writing.

Seems like blackmail to me!

So, I purchased a BT Paragon 950 answerphone and tried it. The problem was resolved: hoorah!

On the basis my Panasonic KX-TG8435 quad handset system had bitten the dust (but only on answerphone), I replaced it with a new KX-TGJ424 quad handset system.

This has the same problem!? Except in order to cancel the incoming call you now have to remove the supply to the answerphone and not just lift and replace any handset as before.

Despite Vodafone advising their VOIP works with all phones, I have contacted Panasonic support asking whether their phones are VOIP compatible and whether there is a firmware/software update available.

Received a reply from Panasonic:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate your sustained interest in our Panasonic DECT phones.

In response to your query, I regret to inform you that we have VIOP compatible DECT phones only in Germany for the time being.

However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Winston

Panasonic Customer Care Team

So it would appear that Vodafone stating that their Gigabyte service is fully compatible with my existing phone system this was another statement that turned out to be untrue.

I now have the option of sticking with no answerphone, purchasing an entirely new system just to meet the Vodafone specification (not that they'll advise what I need to use) or, my preferred option of transferring to another ISP when the contract expires and continue using a UK phone service.

It still doesn't answer why my p[hone worked when first connected but doesn't work now. Vodafone must have made a change to the service.

It seems strange that a phone company are unable or unwilling to provide this advice to new or existing customers. One for OfCom to deal with.

From my own experience, here are some things to consider before getting Gigafast:

1. The salesperson will tell you everything you need to know. It is not until you have signed up for the service that you find little of it is true!

2. If you make a compliant to Vodafone about being lied to , despite already having an account with them , you will have to attend a store in person with some photo identification to prove who you are. Note: You do not need to provide any such information when setting up an account and for Vodafone to take your money. The store will then claim they have no idea what they have to do. You then have to go through the many hoops Vodafone deliberately put in your way to prove who you are.

3. Your complaint is then actioned by completely ignoring it in full, several times.

4. You then have to insist on dealing with a senior person, who does deal with your compliant but only after you  repeat all that you have previously put into writing several times.

5. As the complaint process takes over six months, despite recognising you have been deliberately misled, Vodafone refuse to allow you to cancel the contract.

6. You find the voip service, which is advised to be the same as your previous service is not. You are only able to make and receive phone calls on one phone without any features, such as answerphone at all, unless you agree to pay Vodafone above market prices for the service.

7. To get a fully working phone system, you have to replace all your equipment with that wholly supported by a manufacturer, which currently appears to be limited to BT equipment. As an alternative, you can purchase a voip controller to interface with your phone system but that requires additional information from Vodafone in order to work.

8. Three phone calls later, after three promises, you have to accept, as indicated by other forum users, that Vodafone will not provide you with the details required for setting up your own voip phone system. You accept that the phone will never work properly again, sell the equipment purchased at a loss and stop using a home phone.

10. You contact CityFibre, the system providers, only to find that you get no response for assistance or alternative providers. It appears this system is closed to all other providers at the moment which means no competitive pricing.

9. Despite changes to the regulations by Ofcom, you get no notice of contract end.

10. As they now have you over a barrel, the price more than doubles for the same service despite already having paid for installation and have no need to replace the equipment. However, you may need to replace the router (another price to factor in) as you can only get 45Mb, in the one room it is installed, not much good if you are paying for Gigafast speeds!

Vodafone claim the new equipment uses a sim card backup , but this requires a working Vodafone phone signal in your home (which they can't provide me) plus a Vodafone account. The Vodafone mobile price for the same service from Sky increases from £6 to £28 per phone, so you may need to factor in this additional price increase, even though it will never work for me as at this price the data is limited!

Good Luck!

Hi

Wot I know about VoIP you could type on the back of a postage stamp.

SIP/ALG    disabled?

Is there an option to enable/disable SIP/ALG, somewhere in the menu's?

As confirmed with the manufacturer, despite Vodafone claiming I could use my existing phone equipment, my phone is not guaranteed to work over VOIP.

Vodafone should be aware that VOIP is not fully compliant with all current equipment and should cease advising customers that they can use it.

More cost and more deceipt.