cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What Analogue Phone and adapter for Gigafast?

johnoverall
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Currently without access to my landline as my old BT Synergy handsets don't work with the new Gigafast box. 

What analogue phone do other community users have tested and working with Gigafast please? Did you also require an adapter and if so which one?

Reluctant to buy VOIP phone for a landline I will rarely use but need to have access to it.

Also interested in cheapest cordless VOIP options please as an alternative. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

The standard BT Synergy handsets should work with the Gigafast router.  If the base station of the handset has an RJ11 socket, you should just be able to use a modem (RJ11 to RJ11) type cable between the base station and the router.  If the cable is hard-wired into the base station then you'd simply need a BT type socket to RJ11 type adapter!

If that doesn't work it's likely the landline hasn't been set up properly!

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The standard BT Synergy handsets should work with the Gigafast router.  If the base station of the handset has an RJ11 socket, you should just be able to use a modem (RJ11 to RJ11) type cable between the base station and the router.  If the cable is hard-wired into the base station then you'd simply need a BT type socket to RJ11 type adapter!

If that doesn't work it's likely the landline hasn't been set up properly!

I tried the rj11 lead that came with the Gigafast to connect it tomy Synergy base but there was no dial tone in ext1 or 2.

I had thorough support from Vodafone and jumped through their hoops. They also did a visual check using some video support software to check that I was following their guidance. They also said they were able to dial out using my line remotely.  So their conclusion was incompatible handsets and base.

I've ordered an adapter to try so if that fails I'll go back to them but I think I'll probably end up replacing the phone, perhaps with an IP phone. They seem reluctant to check line configuration until I've gone through their stepped approach. 

Thanks so much for replying and helping. It's nice to know that I should have been able to just plug in and go as I've been thinking I'm at fault here.

Brought a cheap adapter as advised and I now have a working phone. Thank you. Weird that a direct rj11 connection wasn't good enough.  Vodafone perhaps should have provided the adapter as stated on their packaging. 

Hi , what adaptor worked for BT synergy 5500 please advise?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It will be the same adapter that has been recommended on here a few times.

rhinocables® RJ11 Plug to BT Socket with tail Telephone Adaptor White: AmazonSmile: Electronics

I had the correct cable to connect my analogue landline phone to the telephone socket on the new Gigafast broadband router but it did not work, that is an RJ11 to RJ11 cable (small square connector).  Even though it seems it is not necessary you need to use a RJ11 to RJ45 cable (RJ45 is the conventional BT white rectangular phone connector) and then use an adapter from RJ45 to RJ11 into the router telephone port.  This cheap adapter worked:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVS5UZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, you may not have a dial tone when you pick up the handset, just try calling a number!

Jayach

@Stephen777 wrote:

I had the correct cable to connect my analogue landline phone to the telephone socket on the new Gigafast broadband router but it did not work, that is an RJ11 to RJ11 cable (small square connector).  Even though it seems it is not necessary you need to use a RJ11 to RJ45 cable (RJ45 is the conventional BT white rectangular phone connector) and then use an adapter from RJ45 to RJ11 into the router telephone port.  This cheap adapter worked:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVS5UZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, you may not have a dial tone when you pick up the handset, just try calling a number!

Just to avoid confusion. RJ45 is the standard network connections on the router. I don't know if the BT type connectors have an RJ (Registered Jack) number, every one just says BT connector.

Other posters on here have said an RJ11 cable has worked for them, and as long as it doesn't have any cross-overs it should.

Not having a dial tone doesn't sound right, but I'm not on FTTP so I can't be sure.

Just to avoid confusion. RJ45 is the standard network connections on the router. I don't know if the BT type connectors have an RJ (Registered Jack) number, every one just says BT connector.

It's specified in British Standard BS6312; the 4-wire version is design 431A, the 6-wire design is 631A.

It doesn't appear to have a registered jack number. I've seen someone refer to it as RJ4C in the dim-and-distant past (but that appears to be a spark plug!), possibly as confusion with 6P4C, which is the generic configuration description for any "6 position, 4 conductor" jack plug.

But yeah, "BT connector" or "British phone connector" is probably easiest.