cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G Speed Tanked (Unlimited Max Data Sim)

richyrooo
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I've contacted online support twice and not got anywhere so thought I might try here and see if anyone in the community can help or has had similar issues. I have an unlimited max data plan and use a router/external antenna mounted at roof level on the side of my house pointing to the nearest mast. I usually get 40-70Mbps download and up to 27 upload however now the speed I receive has dropped to 0.1-10Mbps download at all times of the day. (Even 1-6am when I would expect way less congestion) This has now been the case for 2 weeks or so and it does not improve, I have tried a TP-LINK MR600, Huawei B525 and my iPhone 12 Pro Max with the same poor result across the board. 

There are no issues reported in my area and I have had my connection reset multiple times now with no improvement at all. I'm paying for this as a viable fall-back from my very slow home connection as I work from home and we do stream quite a lot, although now paying for unlimited max and getting mostly 0-6Mbps is not worth it at all. 

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this or has anyone had similar issues with 4G suddenly being completely terrible? I assume it's just overselling/saturation for the infrastructure in the area but I would still expect it to vary in times of low traffic.. but it is consistently terrible!

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Rich

4 REPLIES 4

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @richyrooo, Let's take a closer look into this for you. To help us do this, please confirm 👉

- Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

- What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you'd prefer not to post this publicly. Pop it in the Personal information section of your profile. This is only visible to our moderators and yourself.

- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

- What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

- Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

- When did you first notice this issue?

- Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

This is a static home broadband solution, I have tried moving and switching out the antenna with no improvement in signal. 

- What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you'd prefer not to post this publicly. Pop it in the Personal information section of your profile. This is only visible to our moderators and yourself.

I can't find any personal information section? Accessing account settings does show my address is visible in there though if that's what you mean. 

- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

It's in a router but yes, as in my original post I have tried this in another router and also in my phone with no joy. 

- What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

No errors, just low speed.

- Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

The speed would be worse on 3G due to the protocol so I don't think this is relevant. 

- When did you first notice this issue?

Around 2-3 weeks ago. 

- Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent, all times of the day including obscure times most if not everyone would be asleep.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thank you for confirming @richyrooo - I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now.

We would need to know the postcode that is effected, to that we can investigate this further. You should be able to post your postcode in Personal Information. You can find this section by going to My Settings > Personal Information 👍

maxwonga
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Rich,

did you get this sorted? I have just signed up max full tilt whatever its called speed has dramtically dropped under ten, I am within 14 day cool off period think it may be worth cancelling while I can, seems pointless paying for this if vodaphone cant deliver the speed may as well go with three half the price

thanks and regards

sean