main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Mobile Broadband

Are Vodafone providing a solution to NAT issues on games consoles? xbox, ps4, switch

Jon-H
3: Seeker

You need to leave Vodafone is the answer, you won't have theses problems with 3mobile. Look into the issue with Vodafone, they have known about it since the release of the Switch & yet continue to trot out the line that they are aware & will resolve it. If that's the case why have they started up Voxi with exactly the same issues & trot out the same response! You can cancel your contract as they have not done what they stated.

View more options
KIMWW
2: Seeker

Perhaps switching to TP-Link Archer MR600 could help you guys.

There is a setting which allow users to turn off something called "NAT boost" which apparently help with Port Forwarding.

It's just a suggestion. I don't do online gaming so I'm not sure if it can help.

View more options
BrodyStag

@Vegtable what L2tp service are you utilising? AAISP or a premium VPN service like ExpressVpn? I am looking at signing up asap so would like to know what works.

View more options
vegtable
4: Newbie

Hi,

I no longer use Vodafone cellular broadband - except as an emergency backup should my FTTP service go down. When I was using vfe I used the Andrews and Arnold's L2TP service and it worked really well. You need a device that can set up the tunnel - I used a router running PFSense but there are other options.

I believe there are a few VPN providers offering dedicated IP addresses and I guess most of these will support port forwarding. Some services (including some games don't allow VPNs but not sure they will be able to detect the VPN if you have a dedicated IP? You probably have more router options if you go down this route - dedicated IP VPNs were not a big thing when I was looking for a solution.

The A&A service has a limited data cap so that might be an issue for some? I used it for about 1 year with no issues.

I can vouch for the A&A service and when I needed it there were very few options. It was also rolling month by month contract so not a big risk. 

I use PIA VPN and they were going to offer a cheap dedicated IP service. I have not tried dedicated IP from them though.

I now have a nice symmetrical FTTP service with no CGNAT so I have moved on.

C

View more options
vegtable

I should add that your device that sets up the tunnel can be behind your cellular router (plugged into a LAN port). I used a cheap Huawei router I bought used for the cellular connection. The router behind was PC Engines mini PC. I still run PFSense but now on a SFF desktop with a quad network card. 

View more options
andrew-mac

Hi,

Can you provide an update on this please?

I have strict nat issues on Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X and also now Facebook Portal TV. For certain features on each of these platforms I have to tether to my mobile phone (Giff Gaff) and then switch back to my 4g/5g home broadband using Gigacube for all other uses.

Thanks

View more options
BrodyStag

This whole situation with the strict NAT on the Gigacube is a joke. There are so many ways around it yet you have to pay for them. Why can't Vodafone just sort their admin out and give there customers what they want. Vodafone have stated that they use CGNAT for the security of the customers, but I can almost guarantee that the majority of customers have applications on their devices to secure themselves either way. 

View more options
vegtable

@BrodyStag

This is not an admin issue nor is it a security issue nor is it a gigacube issue. The issue is that there are not enough IP 4 addresses to go around in the world. The whole point of CGNAT is so a single public IP address can be shared by multiple users - the trade off is that incoming connections can't be supported. For most users this isn't an issue but for some people (who play certain games, run ftp severs, Plex severs, web servers, VoIP phones) it will be. In the generic sense, this won't be properly fixed until IP V6 is widely used. Most mobile operators use CGNAT as well as increasing numbers of fixed line operators. I think it is very poor of operators to not be more open about their use of CGNAT so customers can make an informed decision. If I have a complaint it is the lack of transparency, misleading info etc.

No amount of complaining to Vodafone will change the technical constraint and there is very little they can actually do - they can't magic up new IP v4 numbers. This situation is unlikely to change in the near future so you have 3 options.

1) put up with it

2) find an alternative internet provider who does not use CGNAT

3) use a tunnel over the top

View more options
Mark

Hi all, I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing. Rest assured, we're looking into this and we'll let you all know when we've an update.

View more options
CallumWott

It is now 2021 and there are still issues with NAT type on consoles and it has not been fixed, this has caused a not so fun experience for me as I cannot play multiplayer with friends and family. Please fix this issue

View more options
Evie

Hi everyone - For these NAT type issues, could you drop us a message on social media? In the your message to us could you have filled in the network initial check template and send that over. The more examples we collate, the better 😊

View more options
KIMWW

NO I'll not do that. Vodafone is asking for too much private information!!

How long will it take to fix that issue!!! How many more months or perhaps years!!! I'm getting fed up with Vodafone!!!

View more options
OiACAB

Sorry but can you read this whole topic? Check date when it started and going thru you can see how many times this was asked from users. And you know what? We all know what is problem and it's not on our side. It's network issue NAT type 3 as me and few other people using same public IP address because Vodafone is providing to users PRIVATE IP. That's the problem. And I can understand for majority of people this is no problem BUT FOR ME AND SOME OTHERS IT'S A HUDGE ISSUE!

I need it for a lot of services PUBLIC IP and OPEN NAT! 

So, when we can expect this to be resolved? Please give us EXACT DATE not we are working on it. If so PLEASE SACK YOUR WHOLE DEPARTMENTR ON THIS AND GIVE US THER JOBS! As we know what problem is!

View more options
E_HARRISON45

Hi 

This NAT issue has crossed to ps5 also predictably... 

Has there any progress that has been made? Can we escalate this to your leadership?

Thanks

View more options
BrodyStag

Hahaha don't be silly, this can't be solved in the short...

View more options
E_HARRISON45
View more options
BrodyStag

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/

This is the only work around I found, which I tried for a month. It did work but I could not warrant the extra expense.

In my eyes it should be a service that Vodafone provide as a repercussion of the screw up they created. 

View more options