cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't Share Screens via Skype using MIFI on 5g?

buttysMum
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've found my MIFI network doesn't share screens using Skype business...anyone else? I get a network error when I try to share? I'm on 5g...no problem with mobile signal...

10 REPLIES 10

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@buttysMum If you're using one of our MiFi devices this doesn't currently connect to 5G.

With Skype it looks like you have to have a good bandwidth to connect to screen sharing. Some of their troubleshooting steps may help with this - I'd advise speaking with Skype if you have any further issues though.

Hi Tash, I am on 4g and have this issue. Is there a solution please?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @fabiovodafone Have you tried the troubleshooting steps @Tash posted above? I'd also recommend checking the signal strength in your area using our handy Network checker here to  see if there are any known issues in your area.

Hi Jack, yes I tried.  It's mobile broadband so can't use cable. Had only skype running and still the screen would share for a few seconds then stop. Speed is regular around 10Mbps. sometimes more sometime less, but never below 4-5. Router say no updates available. Funny enough, my work phone is Vodafone too;  I have used it as hotspot, and it happens exactly the same.  Is it the mobile broadband for some reason? before moving to Vodafone I had home broadband with Talk Talk, really slow, and issue I had was with connection and speed, but screen share was never interrupted this way. Thanks for your help in advance 

Hi @fabiovodafone 👋 I am thinking it could be to do with the available bandwidth, you mention your download speed is 10Mbps, have you checked your upload speed? If you have a reasonable upload speed I would advise to speak to Skype to see if they have any relevant troubleshooting to help in this scenario.

Finding difficult to speak to someone in Skype. I can tell you though that I have tried a skype call with my mobile hotspot with O2 (4G) and no issues with screen sharing....

While last week I tried my work phone hotspot (which is Vodafone too) and I was having the screen sharing issue too. 

So it really looks like the issue is with Vodafone....  

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thank you for confirming @fabiovodafone - Have you checked your postcode in our network status checker to see what speeds and signal quality you should expect?

Also, make sure that both yourself and the person you're trying to screen share with have the most up to date Skype software. And that you're on a version of Skype that support screen sharing.

Hi,  yes all basic checks are done, and as mentioned, the issue is only on Vodafone network. Not on o2, not on talk talk. I wonder if there can be a particular setting with the router, which might allow skype to run better? i.e I was reading about opening ports on the router?  

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@fabiovodafone As your screen sharing runs for a few moments before ending, this does suggest it may be due to your network connection rather than an issue relating to the application itself. When testing this separately from your MiFi device and then your O2 SIM, do you notice any drops in your speeds while using screen sharing? 

Depending on which device you're using, you may be able to switch down to 3G only to see if this improves things for you. You can find the full steps to change this when searching 'Select network mode' in our device guide.