cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't play most Nintendo online things - guessing I need APN that allocates me IPV6/real IPV4 IP

Stephix
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm using an unlimited mobile broadband sim in the provided gigacube. In trying to play the new Animal Crossing tonight I came across an issue when trying to visit another player's island. The connection to the Nintendo servers goes through fine, however the connection to the other player fails (both inbound and outbound), with Nintendo suggesting that "The NAT traversal process may have failed".

I tried to troubleshoot this as much as I could on my own. My Switch reports my NAT Type as "D", and the Nintendo forums suggest that a type A or B would be preferrable if not required for this type of online play to work. A higher rating seems to simply imply network laxness, so off I set to try and forward myself some ports, since the NAT setting in the Huawei "GigaCube" is already at its most relaxed.

My first problem occured when Huawei, for some reason, will not let me put the whole Nintendo-suggested range of UDP 1-65535 in its "Special Application List", as it doesn't want to open more than 200 ports at a time.

I then tried to set my Switch up in the DMZ, but this basically seems to do absolutely nothing for my issue.

At the same time, none of the TCP ports I've individually set up in the "Special Application List" seem to be visible from the outside, which I found intriguing. This led me down a rabbithole on the Vodafone forums where I found a thread hinting at the fact that we are allocated Carrier-Grade NAT ipv4 WAN IPs, which means port forwarding can never work.

All this to detail all I've tried and to ask if there's any way I can go visit my friends' islands in Animal Crossing :Worried_Face: Is there some setting in the gigacube that I've overlooked or mis-set, that would solve this? Is there some cheeky APN I could become privy to, that would either allocate me a "real" IPV4 address or, perhaps, an IPV6 one? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This is something we're currently aware of @Stephix - please be assured we're working hard with our relevant teams to help our gamers on different consoles get online as soon as possible! We'll be updating the thread here as soon as we have another update.

I understand. Can't say that thread gives me a lot of (if any) hope, sadly.

Jon-H
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

You need to leave Vodafone is the answer, you won't have theses problems with 3mobile. Look into the issue with Vodafone, they have known about it since the release of the Switch & yet continue to trot out the line that they are aware & will resolve it. If that's the case why have they started up Voxi with exactly the same issues & trot out the same response! You can cancel your contract as they have not done what they stated.