Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GigaCube unstable 5G

Ash194
5: Helper

Despite having a full 5G signal at all times the GigaCube randomly drops away. The only way to get it back is to login to the device and run a location test, this in turn forces it to jump back into 5G with a full signal. Just wondering why the device is not doing this automatically if it momentarily looses the 5G signal? I don't want to have to keep doing this .

57 REPLIES 57

I would rather keep it here as members of the public seems to have much better technical comprehension than the people I have dealt with in your call centers and on social media.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

That's fine @Ash194 👍 I can see you've been in touch and there's some work being completed on a mast near you at the moment. Please continue to keep us updated and let us know if there's any improvement. 

Hi weebear I'm on the exact same version as you. My device did auto update to this once it connected to the network. Looks like Vodafone have deliberately locked down some settings. Even if I could adjust the preferred network I fear it would still require me to run a signal test and force it back on to 5G very odd that this is not dynamically happening.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Ash194, was worried I was missing out on an update.

I wonder if there's anywhere you can download a generic firmware update to update the router yourself, that would be handy to get rid of the non selectable auto settings. 

Anyway, thanks again for your reply. 

Bravo
4: Newbie

I'm having the exact same issue. Everything was fine for about the first 6 weeks, then around a month ago I noticed that the GigaCube would after afew days, simply fallback to 4G and would not re-attach to the 5G service.

As can been seen from the attached network location screen grab, both 5G (and 4G network signal strengths are very good). I belive the unit is running the latest firmware.

The only way I have found to reliably re-attach it to the 5G network is to power cycle it. Which is just stupid.

Any thoughts on the matter VF team?

Have you tried the Huawei HiLink app Bravo?

It lets you select auto, 4G or 5G only modes. 

Crazy that Vodafone seem to have disabled this setting in the router and you have to use the Huawei App.

Make sure its HiLink app though and not the newer AI Life app which doesn't seem to have this setting.

Hope it works for you. Best of luck. 

Hi

I've downloaded the HiLink app, (my goodness its *slow* to load settings from the router!)  however I cannot lcoate the setting to change...So far I've tried:

Tools tab then Settings (gear wheel)->Network>Network Settings->Network carrier

I can see a slider for "Support LTE networks" (which is active)

Any pointers on where they've hidden the 4G/5G selector-setting?

TIA

It's in network / network carrier for me Bravo, lets me select auto, 4G or 5G only. 

Accessed using the cog top right.

Unfortunately the setiing is not there for me. Ive only got the "Support LTE networks" slider and nothing else.

I've tried on both phone and tablet (ioS apps). Same in both. Very odd.

Oh that is strange Bravo, not sure why our settings are showing different using the same router.

I don't seem to have the LTE settings you mentioned.

This is what I have.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alnkx7D3lsbauP0hgnfZpGM2vF9jAQ?e=pfmYk0