Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigacube 5g and 4g lights on but only 4g speed

kristianp335
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have GIgacube 5g. I only used to have the 4g light on. Now the 5g light has come on as well. 6 months late I might add. However the speed is only 60mbps down and 25 up. So I think it is not using 4g. How does the Gigacube decide whether it uses 4g or 5g?

3 REPLIES 3

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If your Gigacube is connected to a 5G contract, it will always try to connect to 5G before trying to connect to 4G. You can see if our 5G network is available in your area yet by checking out our Network Status Checker

So if I have the 5G light on why would I be getting only 4G speeds. The app showed better 4G signal than 5G. It is pretty clear it was using 4g not 5G. Why does no one at Vodafone have any clue how this router actually works. The two Huawei apps dont allow you to turn off 4g and neither does the web interface. There is an option on one of the apps to go from auto to 5G but this just causes the router to not connect to anything. I am in a covered zone according to signal status. Everyone is having problems with GIgacube 5g. Vodafone should not sell things that are clearly not ready for market. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank for that 👍 @kristianp335 When you switch the app from auto to 5G only, this will turn 4G off. If you're unable to connect when you do this, it sounds like there's either a very weak, or no 5G service in your area. If you pop us a private message on Facebook or Twitter with your full postcode, we'll take a look into this and I'm sure we'll be able to get you the best speed available.