Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Issue with remote 4G dongle

whiteduck
4: Newbie

Hello,
I've got an interesting issue with a 4G dongle that is at a remote property connected to a router and Linux box (for remote camera security / heating control). Since we are in lock down I cannot justifiably go there to check on it or reset it. The data SIM is on 15GB 90 day PAYG and worked fine for several weeks.

When the SIM was first provisioned the 15GB didn't get added correctly and only 1GB was available - I just found this out last week when it stopped working and assumed I had used all 15GB so I topped up with another 15GB. Within a few minutes my webpage showing the remote property status was working again.. I contacted Webchat and they fixed the top-up issue and issued a credit of £25 on the account.

The following day around 01:30 it went offline again. The last web-page was timed at 01:22 but the 01:32 page (10 minute interval) didn't appear. A very helpful Webchat agent believed the issue was I had two active top-ups, deleted one and again within a few minutes this resolved it. All good.

Monday morning the same happened at the same time! Webchat this time 'reset' something but so far nothing has worked. They checked the account, there is plenty of credit and no bars that could cause it.   I also played with switching on and off roaming bars just in case it sprung into action.

Interestingly the historical usage on my account seems to get calculated each night around the time the SIM has gone off line... coincidence?

04 Apr 20 - 01:24 Internet 165.46 MB £0.00

04 Apr 20 - 01:24 Internet 2.62 MB £0.00

Any ideas appreciated that can be done remotely.   I know re-provisioning seems to fix it but a basic reset doesn't.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@bandofbrothers - thought you would like an update and this may help others.

I waited 24 hours for the validation to happen but it still remains offline so I contacted Webchat and this time got a very helpful agent who had seen the problem before,  removed the old top-ups and it all sprang back into life.   So if anyone gets this inconsistent issue then please ask the agent if they could clean up the old top ups and it may just work for you!

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

whiteduck
4: Newbie

Reposting as previous message was marked as spam!   I've got an interesting issue with 4G MBB that is at a remote property connected to a router and Linux box (for remote camera security / heating control). Since we are in lock down I cannot justifiably go there to check on it or reset it. The data SIM is on 15GB 90 day PAYG and worked fine for several weeks.

When the SIM was first provisioned the 15GB didn't get added correctly and only 1GB was available - I just found this out last week when it stopped working and assumed I had used all 15GB so I topped up with another 15GB. Within a few minutes my webpage showing the remote property status was working again.. I contacted Webchat and they fixed the top-up issue and issued a credit of £25 on the account.

The following day around 01:30 it went offline again. The last web-page was timed at 01:22 but the 01:32 page (10 minute interval) didn't appear. A very helpful Webchat agent believed the issue was I had two active top-ups, deleted one and again within a few minutes this resolved it. All good.

Monday morning the same happened at the same time! Webchat this time 'reset' something but so far nothing has worked. They checked the account, there is plenty of credit and no bars that could cause it.   I also played with switching on and off roaming bars just in case it sprung into action.

Interestingly the historical usage on my account seems to get calculated each night around the time the SIM has gone off line... coincidence?

04 Apr 20 - 01:24 Internet 165.46 MB £0.00

04 Apr 20 - 01:24 Internet 2.62 MB £0.00

Any ideas appreciated that can be done remotely.   I know re-provisioning seems to fix it but a basic reset doesn't.

Thank you!

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I can appreciate the current rules over non essential travel @whiteduck 

Is the trip to sort out the security system of your remote property essential travel ? That's for you to decide.

I would suggest using Live Chat again or engage with the Vodafone Social Media Team on Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. for account access assistance.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you!  Yes I don't intend to travel under the current lock down - it is non-essential.

'Wondered if someone from the technical team (if they are monitoring this forum) could review and advise.   I didn't want to tie up the chat operators again as the last chat suggested everything was now OK with the account and short of re-applying the top-up I am not sure what could 'reset' it to start working again.

Stay safe too!
All the best

Ian

I decided to check again.  Webchat told me the issue is the latest top up needs to be validated by another team.  This may take 24 hours...   fingers crossed!

@bandofbrothers - thought you would like an update and this may help others.

I waited 24 hours for the validation to happen but it still remains offline so I contacted Webchat and this time got a very helpful agent who had seen the problem before,  removed the old top-ups and it all sprang back into life.   So if anyone gets this inconsistent issue then please ask the agent if they could clean up the old top ups and it may just work for you!