Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MIFI

Nessie123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have just brought a mifi for a trip to Europe and was wondering if I can use a normal sim in it or do I have to use a Data Only sim? Phone sims seem to be cheaper so not sure if there is an issue if used in a mifi unit?

Thanks

N

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Nessie123 

There is no reason a voice SIM won't work in the device but if you are using a PAYG SIM, it would be a good idea to activate the SIM in a phone, set up an account to register the SIM and download the application to the phone from here: Getting Started , this will make it easier to add credit and get an indication of how much data you have remaining.

You don't mention if this is a MiFi device from Vodafone or unlocked.  You may need to enter the correct APN settings from here: APN Settings and download the mobile broadband software here: Mobile Broadband Software .  Also further information here: Device Guides 

The mifi is an unlocked TP Link.  So hopefully I should be able to get a PAYG, activate it in my iPhone, set up an account  and then  pop the sim into the mifi and hey presto, mobile data.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why Data only sim packages are way more expensive than regular sims - am I missing something?

Thanks again.