Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MTU not big enough for xbox using Vodafone 4g LTE

Joe222man
2: Seeker

Hi 

I'm using R218h mobile broadband router with the Ultimate data sim package from Vodafone. 

My Xbox connects to the router without any issues. However, games such as PUBG and COD wil not work. I conducted a multiplayer network test from the Xbox network settings menue. An error message appeared statin a MTU propblem. After seeing this i conducted another network test but this time chose one that shows statistics. This is telling me that the MTU size is 1360...Xbox needs to be 1384 as a minimum for the box to work as it should. I tried another SIM in the same router from Virgin...although the signal was very poor the MTU size is 1400 and the multiplayer network test came back fine. This suggests that the issue is not the router but the Vodafone network, even though the sim package has been advertised as a "gaming" package. 

How do we up the size of the MTU?

Joe 

7 REPLIES 7

tomenglish

I'm having the EXACT same problem. 

We've been hotspotting our EE wifi previously and this was still an issue. I also following all steps on cammnd prompt and it seems to say my MTU is 1500, but Xbox shows it to be 1360. 

Is there any way we can edit the MTU settings Vodafone? 

Thanks

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've taken a look into this @tomenglish & @Joe222man and you should bve able to increase you MTU by following these steps ðŸ‘‰

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router's network.
  2. Select ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup.
  3. In the MTU Size field, enter a value from 64 to 1500.
  4. Click the Apply button. Your settings are saved.

If you're still struglling after doing this, let us know and we'll take a closer look for you.

Hi,

what do do you mean by select ADVANCED when you open a webpage? Do you mean on the router settings page? 

Thanks,

tom

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies @tomenglish, yes on your router settings page.  I'm sure this will resolve your issue! If not, you know where we are ðŸ˜Š

Hi Mark,

it just seems to offer in network settings (4G, 3G or 2G). This is a monthly top up dongle we have for the time being so there doesn’t seem to be much we can do within the settings. 

Ive looked through all tabs within the settings of this and it seems to not show MTU anywhere? 

Is there anyhing from your side you can do? 

Thanks

Hi, 

I have also checked all the tabs and can confirm no settings labelled MTU. 

I put the same sim into my phone and tethered to my Xbox, MTU was the same size as in the router. Tried a O2 sim in my phone and tethered to the Xbox to find the MTU was 1400. It might not be the settings on the dongle. 

Joe 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Joe222man @tomenglish Hi both! We've had a chat with our dedicated Mobile Broadband team and they've advised that as it's a dynamic SIM card, this can affect how it will work with your games console. With it being a dynamic connection, your IP address will be changing constantly. This would make it unstable. Due to this, we wouldn't be able to guarantee a connection - in some cases this may still work momentarily for you.

This is something we're looking to implement more in the future and any updates will be on our website.