cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Hotspot for streaming on Twitch - a few questions.

badasafish
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hey all. I'm a full time Twitch streamer using my home Broadband to stream but my upload is only 6megs which restricts the quality of the stream that I can provide therefore I'm considering using a mobile hotspot to stream since it will likely give me faster speeds but I have some questions:

1) Is streaming over a mobile connection a good or bad idea? Will it be stable enough?

2) I did a speed test using my Vodafone mobile and the upload was around 12 megs, therefore can I expect the same speed on the mobile broadband and will it be consistent?

3) I'll be using a lot of data therefore I will need the unlimited package but my question is are there any usage restrictions that could lead to throttling and slower speeds?

4) If I get the mobile broadband and it turns out to be terrible can I return it for a full refund?

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @badasafish I'll try and answer your questions as best as I can!

1 - Like all services, we can never guarantee a 100% perfect signal at all times, but we'd expect streaming with a mobile broadband device would have comparable stability to fixed-line broadband. The benefit of a Mobile broadband device will be that you can position it around your home to get the best reception.

2 - Similar to the above, we can't guarantee perfect signal at all times, as there are many factors outside of our control that can affect your signal strength and data speeds, including positioning of the device, network traffic, weather, etc.  From the rough test speeds you've advised, we'd expect a similar, if slightly better speed.

3 - Our Unlimited plans do have a fair usage policy, but this is set extremely high, so it's extremely unlikely that you'd ever need to worry about hitting it. We don't throttle speeds, but our Unlimited Lite and Unlimited plans do have a maximum download speed (2Mbps and 10Mbps). Our Unlimited Max plan doesn't have a maximum download speed, and you'll always connect to the strongest speed available.  

4 - With all of our service, and in line with consumer rights legislation, you have a 14-day cooling-off period, and if within this time you find that the service isn't for you, you'll be able to cancel without penalty.