Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 4G using Huawei E5577 Mifi

NSP24
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I have a Monthly contract with vodafone and can get 4G on my phone no problem, when away in the caravan if there is a weak signal I put my sim in a Mifi unit E5577 which I can position in the best signal area.

I only notice last trip the the Mifi will not connect to 4G if I set it to 4G only it comes up no service.

I have tried it at home with very good 4G signal and get the same results.

I put my sons Smarty sim in and it comes up 4G so I know it does work I have now tried 3 Voda contract sims and none will work in it on 4G

Has anyone any idea what to try I've messed with the APN settings and tried wap.vodafone.co.uk with username and password as wap but still 3g only?

11 REPLIES 11

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @NSP24 Do we offer a 4G network it the location? We offer this to 99% of the population, but there are still a small number of locations this isn't available. You can check our coverage in any UK location by popping your postcode into our Network Status Checker.

Hi Mark,

I noticed the problem while I was away in Norfolk I could get 2 bars of 4G outside the caravan but using an external antenna and the E5577 could get full signal but only 3G in the caravan.

I have been testing it at home with full 4G signal with same problem 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're getting the same issue in numerous locations @NSP24, this can indicate the the problem originates from your SIM or device as these are the common factors in all your connections. Are you able to connect to our 4G network in these locations with your SIM in another phone/device? 

the sim works fine fine in my p30 pro and I've tried another 2 vodafone sims and they dont work in the mifi.

the mifi works fine with a smarty sim that I tried just not vodafone

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If all the Vodafone SIMs work ok in other devices, the common factor in all the problematic connections is the Huawei MiFi device. When it's connected to 3G, what kind of speeds are you getting? In many cases our 3G service is strong enough to handle a normal volume of traffic.

in Norfolk I was getting about 2.28 mbps but here at home 19.1 mbps with the smarty sim 40.3 mbps (4g)

just tested my sim in the phone and got 44.9

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

From the information you've provided @NSP24 it sounds like the issue is connected to the MiFi device. When you pop your SIM into different devices you can see a small difference in speeds, but as you're seeing such a large difference this sounds like the issue lies with the Huawei device. This could sorted by a simple change in settings. Can you check the device settings and let us know what APN's the device uses to connect to our network.

Hi,

I can connect to 3g no problem using various apn settings

eg APN = internet

also wap.vodafone.co.uk user =  wap   pw = wap

there is only 4 settings name, apn, user, and password

just tried a Sky mobile sim in it and getting 4G but its only slightly faster then vodafone 3g 

I have also contacted Huawei but they could not help but I gave them the serial number and they said its not a uk device and that could be the reason I've always used a 3 sim in it with no problems I cannot even remember where I bought it.

If you have any other APN setting to try please let me know I might have to get a 3 sim or another mifi/router

Thank you for your help with this!

Hi @NSP24, those are the correct APN settings for the device. If you've spoken to Huawei and the MiFi is a not a UK model, have you considered the MiFi and Dongle options on our website here🙂