Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Skype for Business - 'Present Desktop' not working

markdransfield
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My home network runs uses a Voda 4g data sim in an industrial 4g router, attached to two 1.5m directional 4g aerials pointing at the local Voda mast 2km away.

I get decent speeds out of this most of the time: above 10meg. 

IT works fine for everything, including Zoom, Skype, Skype for Business etc. across multiple computers.

But the one thing I can't do is present desktop / see colleagues' desktops over Skype for Business. I get the message: "We couldn't connect to the presentation because of network issues. Please try again later".

I've been trying again later for 3 months now!  Very occasionally it works (<1% of the attempts).

My neighbour let me test it on his wifi, which is copper based broadband, 2km from the exchange (max 6meg) and it works there every time.

Do you know why this is? It's like there's a port blocked at the mast or something.

I've also tried this using my Voda phone handset as a hotspot and I get the same problem.

Any ideas? ....I suspect I'm not the only one.

Best Regards,

Mk

5 REPLIES 5

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @markdransfield, as far as I'm aware there is nothing that we have that should stop the ability to share screens. I would recommend taking a look at the settings within Skype to make sure there's nothing there that could cause an issue. 

I've found a Microsoft page with more information in how to troubleshoot this issue for you. 

If you have any questions or queries in general in regards to your broadband speeds etc, please pop us a message via social media and we can take a look into your account with you.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

There's nothing in settings that is blocking desktop sharing, or in the config. Otherwise it wouldn't work when I connect to my neighbour's copper based network, (and it does).

I think there's something...such as a port...that's blocked by the Voda 4g network.

Mk

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @markdransfield, does removing your SIM from the device and popping this back in resolve the issue for you as it did in this similar thread? If you're still having issues after doing this, please let us know if trying the SIM in a phone and using this as a hotspot allows you to present.

The issue also happens if I use my phone as a hotspot (with my phone sim in it).

I could take the router's sim out and put it on again, but the common denominator is the Vodafone mast. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @markdransfield. Do you have any Content Controls, or Vodafone Secure Net active on either your SIM or phone? I'm wondering if this might be causing some connection issues 🤔