Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Super slow gigacube 4g.

JMVJ
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Joined vodafone a month ago and it has been a nightmare. They promised super speeds and it would ideal for my needs but it has been nothing of the sort.

I contacted them and they couldn't answer me except with wait until the works have finished in you area and things willbe better. Really???!!! 
if I cancel now my charges wil be extortionate. either way I am screwed. 😞

does anyone have any tips. Apart crom resetting the gigacube?  Thanks. 

25 REPLIES 25

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for the misunderstanding there @abates85, if you'd like me to check your local network and see if we've any issues or check for any maintenance, pop us your full postcode. If you'd prefer to do this privately, you can add it to your personal details on your profile and then only you and the moderators will be able to view it.

Hi @Mark

Thanks for the response. I've already given my postcode on this thread on the 24th April. 

Hi Mark

Thanks for the response. I've already given my postcode on this thread on the 24th April. 

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@abates85 I've again checked the signal in your area and it's the same news you've previously been given. Are you experiencing the same problems with 4G on your mobile device/other devices? I'm just wondering if you're getting a full signal on your mobile with 4G, why isn't the Gigacube working the same? 

Hi Adam. 

Both my wife and I have Vodafone contracts and have reverted to using our 4g rather than the WiFi. The speeds seem a little bit better on our phone than the WiFi during these slowed periods but only by 1Mbps. I was told by tech support the reason for this is that our phones have better receivers than the gigacube. 

All this means is that there is no contention inside our network for bandwidth so when we stream TV we can also browse the web on our phones. 

The phones won't be better than the gigacube, their aerials are much smaller. The gigacube will be superior, so I doubt what you been told by tech support is true.

I had a time of no signal on our phones, yet the gigacube maintained full strength, which proves my suggestion above.

Usually when something not right, I report it, it gets fixed shortly after but no-one ever tells me why. Doesn't help when it goes wrong next time, i can't simply say what the problem was last time and tell them, i have to jump through hoops of tests, reboots etc wasting loads of time.

I've now bit the bullet and ordered a landline broadband. Sure it won't be installed until July and it will only be 14Mbps but at least it will be stable. I'll be telling Vodafone not to renew my contract when it expires.

I can't waste any more time talking to tech support for no gain. 

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Where in your home is the Gigacube positioned @abates85?

Hi DaneB. The gigacube is located in our front window on the 2nd floor . A person on tech support said our mast was located in our town centre so I put the gigacube in a location of least resistance on the 2nd floor of our home. To accommodate this I have installed a whole home WiFi system for full coverage. The speeds are the same wether wired directly to the gigacube or through the gigacube WiFi or the whole home WiFi. so the whole home WiFi is not the issue. 

I have had the router in different locations with varying speeds it appears the current locations has been the most successful as the speed occasionally get a 4g+ connection. 

@DaneB I've managed to resolve my issue. I've bought my own 4g router. 

It is in the same place where the gigacube was. I'm now getting average 50Mbps down and 15Mbps up as opposed to 0.2Mbps down and 12Mbps up. The broadband has been stable at this for 2 days so far. 

The router I've bought for others information is the tp-link Archer MR600 ##~##

Since this was an issue with the router I'm going to ring billing to request the reduce my contract to just the unlimited data contract for home mobile broadband which is significantly cheaper than the gigacube contract. £33 Vs £50. 

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic content, please see Community Guidelines]