Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tethering my XBox to my mobile phone 5G

freefall1969
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I can't find this discussed anywhere so here's hoping......

I have a Samsung S20+ with Unlimited everything. I live in a 5G area and get some pretty impressive speeds but here lies the issue. 
I tether my xbox to my phone's hotspot so I can game, it's not ideal but my landlady recently decided she doesn't need fibre broadband!! I play with friends on multiplayer games, but I continually suffer from disconnections which ruins the experience. I check the phone and the 5G seems fine, but lag will start to appear then, boom, disconnected from the game server. 
All the discussions I can find seem to focus on ports, but as I am using my phone, I don't have that option as far as I know. 
The NAT is strict on my console due to the way I connect, which limits online play, but all tests through Microsoft say there is no problem their end. I am connected to the internet (99% of the time) and multiplayer is unaffected. 

My phone and XBox are about 12 feet apart and there are no obstructions between them. My phone sits on the windowsill where 5G is strongest. 

Is there anything I can do to ensure a stable connection? Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone experienced the same problem? 

Mick

4 REPLIES 4

MarkD

Hi @freefall1969. What NAT type is your Xbox using? Do you hotspot any other devices to your phone? If so, any performance issues on these devices? 🙂

Hi Mark, 
My NAT type is strict, but that's dictated by my connection as far as I'm aware. When I had fibre, I set up port forwarding on the router so had an open NAT. I tether my PC too (not at the same time as my XBox) and there is the odd interruption to the connection but it's only brief and I only use that for emails and streaming so the buffering means I don't notice. 

Mick

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@freefall1969 We're currently investigating NAT issues. Please pop our Social Media team a message with a link to the thread, they'll need to take some more information from you and then they'll be able to raise this to the correct team for you 🙂

Thank you,
It's got to the point where I'm looking to see if other networks are any better.