Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone R218 Mobile Wifi

lemosilveira
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello everyone.

Im currently in a houseshare where the WiFi (virgin) is a bit saturated with too many people over the same wifi causing speeds to go insanely down and/or dropping altogether.

I've been thinking about getting the Vodafone R218 Mobile Wifi router(?) with an unlimited max plan (apparently there's no speed limit other than network signal causes). A few questions if anyone's got the patience for some of them:

Do any of you use this?

Whats the speed like around london? (I'm currently at E18, says the coverage is great)

On a more specific note, im assuming you can plug in this router and keep it on 24/7 like a normal router? I need a continuous broadband connection, but preferably no drilling, no cabling and no phone line

If i get a 12 month plan with unlimited max, do i get to cancel it if the speed turns out to be poor?

I guess me reading this forum trying to see if its any good hasnt helped a lot with all the posts about throttling speeds and poor speeds and poor customer service for weeks.

Thanks for any answers.

Joao

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @lemosilveira 

You can check the masts for your local and surrounding area via Status-checker. 

I haven't used one sadly.

Yes I wouldn't see a reason why it can't be left on

Some reviews Here. 

The network gives a 14 day cooling off period on Pay Monthly Contracts but if you go over that your locked in or you'd have to pay an early termination fee.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hello BandOfBrothers

Appreciate the quick reply. 

Coverage in my area does say good signal 4G indoors and outdoors. My main concern with speed would be getting at least 5Mb/s (50Mbps) down speed, preferably 10 (100Mbps) or more. I'm currently with O2 and a bandwidth test puts me at around 90Mbps download and 8Mbps upload on my phone.

Another very important thing would be packet loss which would have to be 0% as I'll be using it for gaming and voip and even 1% tends to be worse than having high latency. 

Hi @lemosilveira 

You're very welcome for my reply which I hope has answered your questions and helped to guide you to an informed decision.

Please let us know how you get On.

There are also some very informative YouTube videos available.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @lemosilveira 

It would be cheaper for you to go for an unlimited Max SIM only phone deal for the fastest speed Vodafone offer and set up a mobile hotspot to your PC. If you have a smartphone, you will then have all the benefits of unlimited calling and internet access at home.  The unlimited data is your to use as you please so no problem using a hotspot for your internet access at your houseshare.

If you compare the prices, this will work out cheaper than the dongle and the tariff is on promotion until the end of May at £15.00 per month for 6 months and only £30.00 after 6 months, still £2.00 cheaper with the dongle.

Take a look here to compare.

Vodafone SIM only 

R218 Dongle 

If you are going to be using a dongle, there is no harm leaving it turned on, but it will sleep.

Hello AnnS

What would that mean "It will sleep"? Will it terminate all WiFi connections after X amount of time while they're connected? Or only when there's no active connections? I dont have an issue turning it on every day, but if the connection drops while im using it then that would be very bad i suppose.

As for the SIM only option, how would that work? Wouldnt I have to use my mobile phone as a hotspot instead of my PC? And in any case I suppose I'd be better off with a device that creates a WiFi network so i dont need to keep my computer on while using my laptop for instance.

AnnS

Hi @lemosilveira 

The device will sleep when there has been no active use, the same way as a mobile phone or PC sleeps.

A hotspot does basically the same as a dongle, just means keeping your phone tethered to the PC.  Please see here: Personal Hotspot 

Providing you have a steady 4G connection, you should be reasonably OK for short gaming, but ideally gaming is best over a broadband connection, if you are going to be using a mobile signal there may be some drop outs, it's to be expected really.

AnnS

Hi @lemosilveira 

I have been having some further thoughts about this for you and you may want to take a look at the Gigacube, you will probably find it provides a good steady connection for your gaming needs.  Although the upfront charge is quite expensive, it also comes with a 30 day contract if you didn't want a lengthy commitment.

Vodafone Gigacube 

@AnnS wrote:

Hi @lemosilveira 

The device will sleep when there has been no active use, the same way as a mobile phone or PC sleeps.

A hotspot does basically the same as a dongle, just means keeping your phone tethered to the PC.  Please see here: Personal Hotspot 

Providing you have a steady 4G connection, you should be reasonably OK for short gaming, but ideally gaming is best over a broadband connection, if you are going to be using a mobile signal there may be some drop outs, it's to be expected really.

How frequent do you think these drop outs would be, and how long? On average that is. One thing would be a drop of a few seconds every week, another would be minutes or hours every day.

As for the gigacube would be too expensive for both monthly and upfront considering what it's used for

AnnS

Hi @lemosilveira 

Try the device for yourself and see if the speed is adequate for gaming needs.  If you have a constant 4G connection, you should be OK.

If you are not satisfied you will have 14 days to make a return.