main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

100% proof that Vodafone is doing something with the services.

GreatBritian
4: Newbie

I've decided to take out another Sim Only Plan under a 14 day cooling down period to see if it's my account.

It's been speculated before that there's a issue with my account so I took out a Brand New Unlimited Max Plan sim with a brand new e-mail address and new number and hopefully we will see that it's my account if it is I have a feeling it's going to be a struggle to get everything transfered.

We will see though!

If the same happens I can easy cancel under a 14 day cooling off period so it's worth a shot!

View more options
GreatBritian

I'd like to update all of you interested.

Got another sim card with another number on a completely different account under the Vodafone Max Plan for £30pm ish however cancelled it under a 14 day cooling down period due to exactly the same happening.

I've been to HRI (Hull Royal Infirmary) located in Kingston Upon Hull last last night which apparently has one of the best sites, this is no-where near my location.

Once again I was throttled without a VPN as shown in the below video Bearing in mind I was quite close to the site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_q-VH7gOiE&feature=youtu.be

VPN used Nord VPN.

Without VPN speeds of around 20Mb/s obviously throttled I think if the test ran on for more it would of dropped further as almost during the whole test it was been throttled back down to 0.

With VPN speeds in excess of around 130Mb/s (Although I think this was limited on the VPN speeds)

View more options
Tash

I've taken a look into the area you visited (HU3 2JZ) @GreatBritian and you should be getting a good 3G and 4G connection when there. 

I can see we've recently completed maintenance on the nearby site (74316) which completed on 7 December. This may have been affecting your speeds when completing these tests.

If you find you're experiencing issues in multiple locations and we're not aware of any issues in the area, I'd advise testing your SIM in another to see if this improves things for you.

View more options
GreatBritian

In that case Natasha I will perform a test later on today in the exact same location.

Standby for another test to see if it was effecting the area as this appears to be happening everywhere i go around the country.

Has anyone on the Unlimited Max Plans had any issues?

View more options
GreatBritian

It's happening everywhere.

I have to use a VPN all the time to get decent speeds no matter where I am.

View more options
GreatBritian

Hi Natasha,

I've spoken with the Social Media Team on Twitter and they have informed me that the Unlimited Max Plan is actually speed capped to 10Mb/s.

"Hey XXXXXXXX 🙋 Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It's important to note that our Unlimited Max plans are limited to speeds of 10 Mbps whilst on our network. As you are using a virtual private network, this allows you to bypass the limits that we've got in place. Therefore, we wouldn't be able to help with any data speed queries whilst you're connected to a VPN. You can find out more about this on our website here 👉 https://vodafone.uk/2JplV0h If there's anything else you like our help with, please don't hesitate to drop me a line 😊 Jamie"

I recieved this response from a agent known as "Jamie".

I have also provided a copy as proof in the attached. Obviously when using terms like "Fastest Available" it's misleading to your customers.

I have forwarded this information onto Ofcom's Competition and Customer Enforcement Team and the ASA who I believe will be in touch shortly.

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Apologies @GreatBritian - our Unlimited Max Plan isn't capped at 10mbps, that's our Unlimited Plan. I'm really sorry for any confusion this has caused, I'm going to make sure that this is fed back to agent who gave you this information.

I'm unsure why using a VPN would affect your speeds at all, as all that does in hide your IP. I've seen screenshots from customers of them getting up to around 120mbps, so I know that the network can reach these speeds (dependant on the area of course). Have you tried your SIM in a different handset or device at all?

I'll be happy to raise a Network case for this, to get it investigated further; I'll message you via our social channels to get the information that's needed. 

View more options
GreatBritian

@TJ

I'm not been funny but there's so much confusion relating to this plan.

I've been told that much different information I don't know what to believe anymore.

Please can you raise a network case as you replied and get to the bottom of this as I shouldn't have to falk out for a VPN subscription to use the services, nor should I be limited in anyway shape or form wherever I decide to go in the UK.

I have only tried the sim in the 2 different Note 10 5G Plus devices and exactly the same issue was present.

Unforunately I don't have any other devices to try this sim in.

I'm happy to provide information such as the ICCID Number, IMEI etc.

It's also worth mentioning that I can achieve normal speeds after midnight till around 8am then I require a VPN to access "Normal" speeds. It's as though something is triggered in your core network during peak hours like Traffic Management. I'm aware multiple agents say it isn't but it is and it needs investigating.

I'm happy to send my sim and device to Vodafone for them to do further testing if required, obviously I will need this back after you perform tests. 

(Alternatively it might be a good idea to get hold of a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 5G and a Unlimited Max package and do some testing on it in a attempt to see if you can identify any issues).

Please can you make contact with me so I can provide the information you need for a network case to be created and investigated.

View more options
GreatBritian

I have visited a store today and have been informed that a "SR" request has been placed on my account via the Social Media Team.

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

I've just replied to you via Twitter @GreatBritian - I'll get your details from there and get the case raised for you. 

View more options
GreatBritian

Hi TJ

I have twitter messaged you the details sorry for the delay.

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

I've gotten that raised for you @GreatBritian - I'll get back in touch via our social channels if they need any further information. 

View more options
GreatBritian
View more options
vinod

Thank you very much for keeping us posted.

Please could you share how you got ofcom involved, this is exactly that needs to happen in my area too, in my opinion

Vodafone, are a bit too complacent when it comes to handling isolated network issues specific to an area/mast.

View more options
GreatBritian
View more options
Mark

It's great to hear we're getting your issue resolved @GreatBritian. If you want us to take a closer look into your problems @vinod, pop us your full postcode here, or drop us a private message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to help 😊

View more options
GreatBritian
View more options
GreatBritian

Just updating you all.

My services have improved drastically.

Vodafone has done testing in the area and I was provided this response via Ofcom.

Thanks for all your help in solving this situation.

"Vodafone contacted Ofcom yesterday to let us know that they were able to get to the bottom of the issue you had identified. They said that:

Vodafone does not apply traffic management to customers on the Max Unlimited plan and so there should have been no reason for Mr XXXXX (Covered to protect Privacy) to experience better speeds via a VPN than he did when connecting directly to the Vodafone network.  The testing we conducted revealed a faulty security gateway board that was resulting in slower speeds for customers’ services.  This has been replaced and customers will now be experiencing faster speeds in the area."

View more options
Mark

Thanks for the update @GreatBritian, I'm glad to hear the faulty equipment's been replaced and everything's back up and running again.

View more options
Lynxthecat

I am also on the Unlimited Max plan and am experiencing a similar issue. In particular, I am seeing intermittent throttling to 10Mbit/s when connecting to:

Network: vodafone UK

MCC-MNC: 234-15

CellId: 131306260

eNB Id: 512915  

Ordinarily I see a download/upload of 60/20 Mbit/s, but sometimes upon reconnecting my connection will get throttled to 10Mbit/s download and I have to try repeatedly reconnecting to get back onto the unthrottled connection. 

I presume there is an issue with the mast that needs addressing.

View more options