cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Aldershot 4G speed has dropped from 70Mbps to less the 3Mbps.

Weavs
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Since January 2022, my Mobile Data speeds have dramatically dropped from 70Mbps to less that 3Mbps. 
I have contacted the helpline every months as they say this issue will be sorted within 24hrs and they have also told me that masts are being repaired in the area. Every month there is no change. 

I am paying for an Unlimited Max plan, there should be no cap to the data speed I receive yet my average speed is 2.4Mbps. 

Other networks in my area are getting the correct speeds, most beating the speed Vodafone offers.

How has this suddenly changed? There has been no explanation to the data speed dropping, every month I get told it is being fixed, there is no improvement and it’s unworkable when trying to work.

I have been through multiple settings changes, multiple SIM cards, tried in different handsets, to no avail.  

My Postcode is GU11 1QX. 

Can someone give a reasonable explanation as to why this has happened? I have read multiple other boards now and the same things are being said again and again. It doesn’t seem like it will ever get sorted and  Ida fine doesn’t care. 

7 REPLIES 7

MarkD

Hi @Weavs. We've checked the area and we've been performing some work on the mast and we do have additional work planned, however from our initial checks, the network should currently be working okay. We may need some additional information and examples from you, can please complete the below the template and send it over on Twitter or Facebook? 

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

6) When did you first notice this issue?

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

You can find all the social media contact details here

@MarkD 

I have been told this every month and that it would be completed within 24hrs after my call. 

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? 

So far, the Aldershot area has been the worst. Even when going to reading, the 4G isn’t as fast as it used to be. I do not lose service, I have lost 98% of my data speed which has meant it has become very difficult to work from home. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

The
 full postcode is GU11 1QX

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I have tried it in multiple handsets. New SIM cards, plan resets. As stated in my initial post.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

No error messages, my data speed is slow as tested on Ookla.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

It is on 4G, the maximum that I can get in Aldershot at the moment.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

January 2022, it was absolutely fine in December and I was getting reliable speeds of 70Mbps and more. 

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

The issue is permanent and I have rang up monthly to talk to an agent about this, no change. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for providing this information @Weavs. I've taken a look into the coverage in your postcode, we've no issues in your area at this time, the mast serving you (33437), is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages.

Does this issue only affect you in the post code provided, or do you experience this in any other locations? If so, can you please confirm the full postcodes for these locations.

I can see you've also mentioned having your plan reset, but you didn't mention which plan you're currently on. Some of our Unlimited plans included a speed cap, this cap is the 3Mbps, which you've advised is the highest speed you're receiving. If you're unsure of the plan you're currently on, this will be listed in the Plans tab of the My Vodafone app.

@Mark 
The issue is in all Gu10,11,12 areas, this is where I live and travel around daily. 

I am on an Unlimited Max plan ( I put this in my initial post) so I should not have any caps on data speed as the other unlimited plans do. 

As I have said, before January 2022, everything was fine, I had great data speeds and these were recorded on the Vodafone App speed tests. Since January 2022, I get a maximum of 3Mbps. It seems like whatever work they completed in that time frame has slowed the data speeds or it is being throttled. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're having difficulty connecting in multiple locations and these are served by different masts (we'd need the full postcode for these locations to check), this indicates the cause of your issue is connected to your phone/SIM. If you can pop us the postcode for any other location you're unable to connect, along with a screenshot of a speed test taken from speedtest.net, we'll be happy to check this for you. When you pop us the screenshot, please ensure both the download and upload speeds are included and the time the test was taken is visible.

5F341543-99E5-459B-83A4-58F4ED3FECF6.jpeg

@Mark 

I have recently changed my device, I have tried multiple different SIM card in different handsets as this has been said when I have called up. 

The postcodes all relate to the Aldershot area, it is not a SIM issue. 

I have attached a screenshot (at the top) of a test taken tonight, using Speedtest.net. The upload speed wasn’t tested. 

The speed shown is what is normal, both myself and my partner get these speeds when we are on Unlimited Max plans. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

So we can complete a full investigation to this we'll need to take a little more information, some of which we're unable to discuss on a public forum such as our Community. If you pop us a message through our social channels we'll be able to get this sorted for you. When you reach out to us, please include a link to this thread, your Community ID and full postcodes of anywhere you're experiencing this issue.