Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Finding MAC addresses

Mahdi2093
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I came home to unfortunately find my PlayStation no where to be found! I asked my siblings if they moved it all said no. So someone’s lying. I need to find the MAC address on my network in order to figure out where it is (via contact with Sony). Now when I log into my routers admin portal I can only see current MAC addresses and none of the ones that aren’t connected are the ps4 (after doing a MAC address lookup). Is there anyway of obtaining a list of ALL devices EVER connected to my router ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Is it possible that the serial number is associated with the user account and that is more likely to be traceable by the manufacturer?

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

CrimsonLiar

There's so much wrong here!  But even if Vodafone could tell you the MAC address of a device, they can't tell you what room it's in - it's not like find your phone!

Don’t really think it’s helpful for you to say “there’s so much wrong here” and not explain what’s wrong? It’s not location within the house it’s using the MAC address (which Sony can do) to find the global location because I don’t believe it is within this house anymore. As such I want to prove that to my siblings and find out who they gave it to. I am aware that my router when going on the admin portal shows me all connected device MAC addresses and some previously connected. Now I am wondering if there is a log of previously connected devices. I don’t think I explained myself to an extent which is understandable for you in my original post so I do apologise for any confusion.

CrimsonLiar

Lets say you do get the MAC address, how do you intend to track the PlayStation with that information?  You can't track a MAC address across the internet - the only MAC address that your router puts on its WAN port is its own, and that only lasts to the next hop.  When your PlayStation logs into Sony's servers they'll get the username/password and quite probably a hardware-identifying serial number, but not it's MAC address!
And there is no means of retrieving device MAC addresses on the router if they're not active or already present in the UI - the router is locked down!

Cynric

Is it possible that the serial number is associated with the user account and that is more likely to be traceable by the manufacturer?

I will ask Sony if they can use that information, thank you for the suggestion. 

Multiple court cases/police filings have been conducted in the past with Sony being able to find the last live location of a MAC address. Albeit a tad aggressive in response you did answer my question. To summarise this thread; the wifi routers supplied by Vodafone do not hold all registered device MAC addresses. Unlike WAP’s provided by the likes of Cisco, Sophos and Zyxel.