main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Off topic

Android Wear

drey_p
16: Advanced member
Perhaps we should try and keep this on topic. If you want to continue the discussion on whether glancing at a watch could cause an accident, I am happy to create another head and move the posts over to it.

As for wearable tech, I am not sure on it. Perhaps because I've not tried it or played with it, but I really don't see the point of it. I want a watch to tell the time, if I want to read a text I pull out my phone. I just don't get how it fits in....at least how it fits into my life. I'd be interested to here why, those of you who have them, actually wanted to get wearable tech.

PWIAC

View more options
63johnw
17: Community Champion
@drey_p I simply got mine because I wanted to give it a try, I liked the look of the Zenwatch so I chose it on looks ! I like new tech and gadgets so thought I would treat myself to a new toy.

Is it essential? No.

Will it take off? I think it will eventually but I think there will be a few changes before the majority of people take it up, I don't think wearables will be adopted very widely in the current forms.
View more options
Nabs

@63johnw none that I've tried. The one that keeps coming up in searched is Minuum (http://minuum.com/typing-on-android-wear/) not taken the dive yet though, there is a cost involved which I'm not sure about taking just yet. Still plenty to explore before I start buying more.

@froggerty I travel roads much the same as you describe on a daily basis, I've seen many incidents and and lost close friends in collisions. I don't disagree that you should be focussed on the road 100% of time. To be honest this is a discussion better suited for an Android Auto thread, it's getting off topic a bit now.

@drey_p my reasons are much the flame as Johns, I wanted to try it, thought the Urbane looked good, getting it at a great price helped 😉

View more options
drey_p
Nothing wrong with choosing tech on looks, I've done the same LOL.

I love tech and gadgets to but for some reason wearable tech doesn't do anything for me. Dunno why. Perhaps it's because I have quite a nice watch that keeps itself updated time wise and charges on light.

What sort of changes do you think would get more people buying it?

PWIAC

View more options
63johnw
Not sure really ?? Some sort of killer new feature, when touch screen phones first came out lots of people didn't think they would catch on. I thinks something will come along to grab peoples attention, if I knew what I would be trying to get it started on Dragons Den !

I too have a sift spot for watches, Mrs W can't understand why I need more than 2 (one for work and one for going out),
View more options
drey_p
Perhaps I am trying to get that idea so I can go on Dragons Den myself.... Lol

Do you think wearable tech would be better if you could simply wear it without the need to have a phone with you? So you number is in the device and it doesn't matter whether you pick up your phone or watch, up can still get all your messages calls etc?

Yeah, I have a weak spot for watches to and have quite a few now...

PWIAC

View more options
GojuSuzi
I got the Moto360, just because it came free with my Nexus6. I'd thought wearables were a bit gimmicky, and had intended to just sell it on, but since it was approaching Christmas I was busy, and then my watch broke so I decided to use it as a watch...and now I hate being without it!

It's fairly basic, to be honest, not one of the more all-singing all-dancing models, but it's perfect for me. I've been on a pretty intense fitness kick recently, so having something I'm wearing anyway so can't forget to take it clock my steps and heart rate and such when my epic phablet can't come along (such as during a good gym session) is ideal. I do use it like a remote in the car, as my banger only has a tape deck, so I've got Spotify playing via my phone connected to a cassette adapter, and if I'm chilling at lights, much easier to tap my wrist (don't even need to look because it's all condensed) than fumble about unlocking a phone, or when my mother calls I can tap once to have the call answered and on speaker so I can tell that I'm driving rather than ignore her and have her call forty billion times in a panic because not answering the phone obviously means I'm dead. :Smiling:
View more options
63johnw
@drey_p Samsung have got one of them but it doesn't seem to have taken off.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
View more options
Nabs

@drey_p wrote:
Do you think wearable tech would be better if you could simply wear it without the need to have a phone with you? So you number is in the device and it doesn't matter whether you pick up your phone or watch, up can still get all your messages calls etc?..

@63johnw@drey_pYou mean like the Gear S? :smileywink: Problem there is that they are not using Android wear (having chose Tizen) so you don't have the app support.

@GojuSuzi I considered the 360 when they first announced it but when it came down to buying the looks of the urbane won me over. I hadn't even considered the fitness side of things though! I've used a fitbit for that, I guess I can take it off an use the Urbane. Do you use the Google Fit or is there another app you use with your 360?

EDIT: @GojuSuzi i'd be very interested to know how you're using Spotify with it as well, is there another app I need to install?

View more options
63johnw
Runtastic pro is the one I use @Nabs, got it free when Amazon were giving apps away.
View more options
GojuSuzi
It's got Moto Body built in, pretty much the same as Google's version, but doesn't need to have the Bluetooth connection active apart from every so often so it can send updates to your profile for weekly performance log e-mail. I've been pretty lazy with it, so mostly just went with what was already in there. Spotify likewise just works, apart from Connect, haven't installed anything, and as long as it's linked via Bluetooth, running Spotify on the phone makes the current song & toggle/volume controls pop up on the watch face.
View more options
63johnw
@Nabs have you found smart lock feature?
View more options
Nabs

@GojuSuzi just got it working, that's ace!

@63johnw yeah I set it up, such a time saver it's great! Though occasionally keep going to put my pattern in even though I don't need to. Haha 

View more options
thesoupdragon
So that's the hypothetical situations all cleared up... 😉

I'm interested in what these watches can and can't do?
I really like the look of the Urbane, very jealous of you @Nabs

Am I right in thinking you don't need to stick to the same manufacture as your phone? Or are there some features that only work with same manufacture devices?

I would like to see some pictures of both your watches in use @Nabs and @63johnw if you don't mind sharing?

I've been using Google Now a lot in the car (voice activated via "OK Google") to bring up navigation help, is that possible with Android Wear?

TSD 🙂
View more options
63johnw
No don't need to be same manufacturer, I use mine with Sony Z3, HTC M9 and Lg G3.

The main features are Android wear but there are some added by Asus.

I have used mine for navigation when walking in a new city, better than getting phone out !
View more options
thesoupdragon
Cheers @63johnw

Might be a stupid question...?
The connection between phone and watch, is that Bluetooth?
If so, does that have an added effect on battery drain to the phone?
View more options
63johnw
No problem it's Bluetooth and I haven't noticed any extra battery drain, my Z3 has good battery life anyway.
View more options
jeffkinn

I might just have to buy an Apple Watch to compare to your watches? :smileyhappy:

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Nabs

@thesoupdragon I've been using mine with the HTC M9, It's all managed through the Android Wear App

The Urbane can sync through the internet (WiFi) as well though haven't tried that out yet. I have bluetooth switched on  all the time for my fitbit and when i'm in the car, can't say i've noticed it drain any quicker than before.

Sorry really not a very good picture but here's the best I can manage just now. and yes I stil have the protective plastic on it.

IMAG0076.jpg

I've been using "OK Google" on the watch though it does require an internet connection so I can only really use it at home. Seems to work well, almost exactly the same as the phone from what i've tried.

@jeffkinn would actually be quite interesting to compare

View more options
thesoupdragon
Thanks @Nabs, that really is a good looking watch.

The internet connection you mention, is that because signal is sparse when you are driving?
View more options