Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android to iOS

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

It's no secret that I have a deep interest in mobile phones. Over the years I've had Windows CE phones, Blackberry's, an iPhone and various Android phones.

I have been using Android phones for about 3 years starting with the Galaxy S3, then the S4 moving to the Note3 and finally the HTC One M8. I was fully invested in the Android eco system.

In September I decided to move away from Android and back to the iPhone getting the 6+ (I like a big phone)

For a long time I've argued that Android is a superior OS to iOS but Apple has improved iOS a lot and finally produced a decent size phone. I'm not sorry I made the move and there isn't anything I could do on Android that I can't do on the iPhone. The apps are pretty much the same and the battery life on the phone is really excellent.

The one thing you can't do on iOS is customise the home screens in the way you can with Android with different launchers and I do miss that but it's a small thing to give up.

I'd be interested in knowing what experiences other users have in swapping OSs and what advantages or disadvantages have been encountered.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

14 REPLIES 14

Getafix
16: Advanced member

The major difference is the price you pay for 6+ vs Note 4.

jeffkinn

Price is always a factor in any decision like this. The 6+ is more epxensive than the Note 4 but price has never been a factor in the popularity of Apple products - computers, tablets or phones - as far as I can see.

But what I was looking for was anyone experience in swapping OS's.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p

I did have one of the earlier iPhones but didn't like and I moved away from it back to an HTC device with their Sense interface running on Windows Mobile.  I've got an Android device currently and also my company iPad.  Whilst I have not moved from one OS to the other I am quite familiar with both.  The one reason I wouldn't swap to an Apple device is the fact that they just feel so locked down.  I can't quite describe it.  Things like saving documents.  It's easy on my S5 but I don't find it the same with my iPad.

PWIAC

jeffkinn

I understand why you say that @drey_p but the reality is very different. If I create a document in the Word app for iOS (which is very good) I can save it on the iPhone, save it to Microsoft's OneDrive meaning I get to it on any device, email it to anyone as an attachment or transfer it using AirDrop to any other iOS or Mac OSX device. 

The only thing that's missing is being to upload it to Google Drive from the app itself, and that's not a surprise.

There are differences between the OS's but I haven't found anything that I can't do on an iPhone that I could do on an Android device. I have found changing from one to another totally seamless and I haven't lost an ounce of functionality.

What about other people?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Getafix
If price was not a factor then it comes down to individual choice as both are on par now.

Daughter has a 5S and have not had an issue or difficulty conducting any task that I have had need for.

The only thing I would have against Apple now is the Nano SIM.

jeffkinn

What's the problem with a nano sim?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

MobileNinja
13: Advanced Member

For me personally, Android still cuts the mustard over iOS. I had three iPhone's from the 3GS to the 4S and found out ended up getting bored. Apple never really offered anything different and was restrictive.

I now use Android and am more than happy with continuing down that path for now.

That said, the iPhone 6 is the first one to impress me for a while. It'll always have that simplicity factor that people want.

The camera is improved and the screen looks good. It certainly looks the part.

For me though, I look forward more to the flagship Android launches for Samsung, HTC and Sony more than the September Apple announcements.

Just my thoughts. :Smiling:

If I've helped you, please click Thanks

jeffkinn

My move to iOS was prompted by a couple of factors. The main one that allowed me to consider an iPhone was the size - finally an iPhone that had a decent size screen, Secondly was the ability to customise the interface more than ever before, especially with 3rd party keyboards.

Also, for some weird reason, I moved from a PC to a Mac last year and the iPhone and the Mac do play very nicely together.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Getafix
Sorry, should have completed the sentence. When travelling want to use foreign SIM then cannot put this in another phone.

I know can use adapter but don't work at times.