Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not receiving OTP codes from abroad

MProctor
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. For the last 2 weeks I have been unable to receive OTPs from a bank in Italy (which I need to access their app). Everything worked fine before and the bank have confirmed that at their end everything is fine. It appears that they are blocked in some way before they get here. Vodafone are investigating but I've seen that this is a common problem with other providers too. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly found a solution? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I've an occasional issue with OTPs from a work-related company in the USA.  The problem there is that while they pay for the ability to bulk text, there would be extra costs in texting abroad/across providers in different dominions.  Those extra costs aren't being billed anywhere in the system and the result is I don't those OTPs and have to use a different technique to access their data.

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

To add to the information already posted:

I understand you have been able to receive OTP's previously from your Italian bank. 

SMS is never a guaranteed method of communication.  As part of fraud and phishing prevention overseas banks are concerned about sending an OTP to an overseas mobile number, SMS is not considered a secure way to access an account.  It might be worth getting yourself an Italian SIM for the bank to send the SMS or enquire about an alternative method for secure access.

There may be an application available for this purpose worth doing a search.