main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Off topic

Tu Go

2: Seeker

Is Vodafone going to do anything like O2's Tu Go?

IE being able to make and recieve calls to my vodafone number over WiFi

Bill

View more options
66 REPLIES 66
4: Newbie

I'd be interested in knowing this too!

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

There aren't any plans to do so at the moment. I know there are a few apps you can download on many smartphones to allow calls over data such as Wi-Fi. I urge those who are looking for a similar service to voice their opinions here as we have lots of contacts that we can feed this back to if there's a big demand.

Cheers, Ben

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

There aren't any plans to do so at the moment. I know there are a few apps you can download on many smartphones to allow calls over data such as Wi-Fi. I urge those who are looking for a similar service to voice their opinions here as we have lots of contacts that we can feed this back to if there's a big demand.

Cheers, Ben

View more options
MTL
13: Advanced Member

WiFi calling? I can see that being useful, especially if the local mast decides to go for a snooze...

View more options
14: Advanced member

I too think this could be useful.

View more options

Yes, I hope Vodafone are considering rolling out this type of app out as it could basically do the job of a Suresignal without having to have a separate box installed. Everyone's a winner!

View more options

I would also be keen on an app like this from Vodafone as the sure signal is OK but has its bad moments too, but at the moment we have to relly on it for mobile coverage at home - far better just to be able to use our wireless router and fewer calls to VF support.

Also since VF retired the old European Data Traveller and Passport services, for my usage European roaming has gone from £10 to an extortionate £90 per month; I now only use BT Smart talk or Skype to call from abroad over local WiFi services - it would be great to also be able to recieve calls to my VF number over WiFi like O2 customers can with TU GO.

I essentiall joined VF from O2 because of the sure signal and its then progressive low European roaming charges, it is increasing looking like I'll transfer back unless a service like TU GO is available very soon.

My VF contract is up in a month so it would be good to know quickly as it is a faff to move numbers again.

View more options
9: Established

im keen on this too, where i live, NR19 (east dereham) we apparently have a working signal but we dont, there are so many shops in town now with Wifi. Tugo would be good. 11 months left on meh contract.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jamsterdm,

Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue having completed these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Cheers, Ben

View more options
Its a wonderful service I have an o2 contract and makes life so much easier. I can make or receive calls, texts from upto 5 devices.
I wish vf offers a similar service it would be great.
winter is coming/b>
View more options

Come on Vodafone, you are missing a trick here. If you carry on insisting that we have to buy sure signal you will soon have all your customers switching to O2. Tu Go does the same job and its FREE!!

View more options
16: Advanced member

Ok WiFi calling is call VOIP

Voice Over Internet Protacal 

Now Tu Go is fine but you can do this Now with out a app

Use Google Hang outs if you have the persons email go on google plus and if there on you can call them 

Even from WiFi Hotspots 

BUT DO NOT USE 3G or you will say bye bye to your data plan

Now in the UK we have not got Google talk but in the usa you have and that works just like a phone 

I did a lecture on VOIP and it will teak over from Mobiles for many 

as BT is expanding the Wifi Hotspots and so is Sky and Virginmedia

so if you are any of these customers and you pay your internet at home bingo your away 

VOIP to a Mobile network is a Dirty word to them when this started they brought in Unlimited txt and phone 

But not Data 

People are moveing away from the normal way of comunicating and it will be data  taking over 

so Networks that offer unlimited data will keep there customers 

View more options
8: Helper

A Vodafone equivalent TuGo would be INCREDIBLY useful for those spots that I can't get a phone signal but have access to WiFi.

The SureSignal product is a great solution for home, but you can't really carry one around with you and start mucking around with other folks' routers to use it :-/

View more options
17: Community Champion

It certainly would be useful but different networks do different things. The Sure Signal has been around for a while now but the other networks haven't replicated that for themselves in the same way.

The software development team have their plans mapped out for many months to come so they won't be producing an equivalent any time soon I wouldn't think.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
All the more reason to pester Voda for this now so that they can review it :-)
View more options

Can't disagree with that - Pester away. If you have a smart phone there are a couple of visual voicemail apps that can email you with notifications for missed calls and any voicemail messages. The one I use on my Galaxy S4 is Hullomail. Whatsapp and similar apps work on wi fi for text messages and don't need a mobile signal, let alone Skype, Viber and BT Smart Talk for voice calls.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Cheers, jeffkinn; all useful work-arounds there, chap.
View more options
MTL
13: Advanced Member

Yeah, i started using WhatsApp last year - it's more or less completely replaced my SMS use (i reckon 95%).

Had HulloMail before, ran into a couple of issues (phone and previous mobile operator), might look at it again.

Skype I still have, as its handy when I go to the Channel Islands - still part of the UK, but the call charges are....interesting...so calling over the hotel WiFi is rather useful

View more options
Viber is a good alternative to Skype, and BT Smart Talk if you have a BT landline. I've found Hullomail to be very good.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options