main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Off topic

USB On The Go

SOLVED
View solved solution
JLK 2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Need to use USB OTG, and though Smart Prime 6 has it, it is not powering the device - anyone any ideas?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@JLK  - What happens when you connect it to your phone? Does the phone display anything to indicate that the 2 devices are connected?

If you’re trying to share your phone’s data via USB, check out the Vodafone Smart prime 6 user guide for how to do this.

View more options
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

@JLK  - What happens when you connect it to your phone? Does the phone display anything to indicate that the 2 devices are connected?

If you’re trying to share your phone’s data via USB, check out the Vodafone Smart prime 6 user guide for how to do this.

View more options

Hi Jenny,

The phone does not indicate that anything is attached. I am not using the usb to share the phones data but to power the thermal camera attached. I am going tinto the shop this afternoon to see if anything can be sorted.

Many thanks for your reply.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK

How did you get on in the store yesterday?

View more options

The staff were really helpful, but unable to solve the problem. They said there was nothing held in store or to their knowledge available from Vodafone that would do the job I wanted.

They suggested that I try Maplins ( an electrical store full of geeks - true). They came up with an idea, but didn't sell all the necessary items.

So am still no further forward.

I have an adroid phone with 5.0 software, has USB OTG but not powered and so I cannot use the Seek Thermal Camera I have bought as it is not powered.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK - What items did they suggest? I've had a quick search online but can't seem to find a way around this. 

Maybe one of the community members can shed some light on this?

View more options

The camera's web site suggested a Y cable and a battery pack. Maplins don't sell the Y cable but do sell the battery pack. I have ordered a cable from Amason and when it arrives, will go back to Maplins as they will let me try a battery pack to see if it will work. If it dosen't, then I might have to return the phone to Vodafone as it does not do what I want or what I was told it would do. Was sold to me as having pwoered USB OTG.

View more options

@JLK

Thanks for the update.

Keep us posted on your progress. If this is an issue we'll need to feed it back so we can stop other customers encountering the same problem.

View more options

Hi, have now received the Y cable and have attached it to the Prime 6 phone and the thermal camera and battery pack and it does not work. Will be contacting Vodafone re either returning the phone or upgrading to one that will work with the camera.

View more options

@JLK

Have you tried connecting the USB cable to a laptop to check the connection works?

Please try this and let us know how you get on so we can rule out a fault with the port on the phone. 

View more options

Hi, the USB port on the phone works in that I can charge the phone from it, but it is not powered and so will not power the Thermal camera that I am trying to use with the camera. I was told when I was looking to upgrade from Android Jellybean to Lollipop which the Smart Prime 6 does have, that the USB was powered, but it obviously is not.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK - If your phone doesn’t have powered USB, it won’t be able to support the function that you’re looking for. 

You have a 14 days return period on the phone if you wish to exchange this for a different model. 

If you’d like to arrange this, call our Returns team on 191. 

View more options

Hi Laura, that is the question I have had from the very start - has the Prime 6 got powered USG on the go or not. I was told it had and that's why  bought it. And having bought the phone, found that it appears not to have powered USB ON the Go. Have asked if Vodafone does any phones with powered On The Go, but no-one replied to that query. Will contact 191 in the morning and see what they say. 

Thanks for your input.

View more options

I see that someone else has had the problem about whether the Smart Prime 6 has OTG capability. I have had both answers - yes it has and no it hasn't. It does appear not to have irt from all my experiences, so what is the answer to all this confusion?

View more options
1: Seeker
I have the same problem with my phone when I contacted the other cable to the phone nothing happened but when I contacted the same cable to Samsung note 3 it worked directly
Please I need help for this problem
View more options

Hi @Goodman200120, if the cable is not powering the device then this will not work. We advise to try another device that supports USB On The Go, such as the Prime 7, to see if this works.

View more options