cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why does edit time run out in a few seconds?

ojos
4: Newbie

When I prepare a post in a discussion it will enable me to complete the posting (or reply). As soon as I do that it offers me an option to edit what I just posted. When I click that I will spend a few seconds checking/altering my post and requesting my correction to be posted. I did this just now and spent about 30-60 seconds making a quick edit to it. To my amazement it refused to complete the edit telling me I had run out of time to do the edit. Can someone please tell me how many seconds I am allowed to edit a post before the edit time expires and why does it force me to complete almost instantly which can be difficult if not impossible?

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Welcome to the recent changes to the forum, that is just one of the things they have broken.

@Jayach wrote:

Welcome to the recent changes to the forum, that is just one of the things they have broken.

Is anyone actually going to fix this? I've been using websites for decades and I consider this is one of the most broken ones I have encountered.

Jayach

@ojos wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

Is anyone actually going to fix this? I've been using websites for decades and I consider this is one of the most broken ones I have encountered.

Agreed, it's a shambles.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused @ojos & @Jayach the length of time you have to edit a post has been restricted due to a number of spam posts that were being placed with erroneous/harmful links included. This measure is reviewed from time to time and the restriction altered as required. 

Jayach

@Mark Understandable reaction to some of the spam posts, but the time limit is so low they might as well remove the option completely, and not give us false hope. 

Also any idea when "jump to first unread" is going to be fixed?

That is a lot more inconvenient, especially on multi page threads.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can totally understand how frustrating it is @Jayach, I believe it's due to be reviewed over the next few weeks, so fingers crossed it'll be relaxed a little.

With regards to the jump to the first unread post issue, @Gemma has raised this to the developers and it's being looked into. I've been off for a few days, so not seen a recent update. I'll definitely chase this up with them.