main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Off topic

no more Twitter SMSs

Highlighted
4: Newbie

As from yesterday Voda UK are no longer supporting Twitter sms messaging . I have spoken to Voda live chat and to a rep on the phone but they didn't even know about it. This must be affecting 100s if not 1000s of us. Perhaps if we all complain we can get the decision reversed. I for one will be leaving Voda over it ( as long as the other providers don't follow suit ).

J

View more options
43 REPLIES
17: Community Champion
Hi, never even heard of it and no idea what it is?
View more options

I got that rather surprising message as well yesterday. No idea if it's a Vodafone/Twitter dispute or something else that's going on. I'll try and find out.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

I hope you have more luck than me trying to find out about it jeffkinn.

View more options

I suspect this is am issue caused by Twitter rather than Vodafone. There are stories that this happened much ealier in Twitter's life cycle back in 1989. The issue then, and may well be the issue now, is that in the US phone users pay to receive texts (and phone calls) and therefore there is a revenue stream to be shared between the telco and Twitter.

In this country texts and calls are free to receive (thank goodness) and thus there is no revenue stream for Twitter. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

I'me sure you are right, but to only give us a few hours notice is not good practice. I wonder if other providers will copy. I hope not, and as i said earlier the voda staff at the on line chat didn't even know about the decision. I shall have to start asking other providers what they think. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply with a helpful answer.

J.

View more options

Is there anyone here that works for Voda that can confirm that this decision is final ?

View more options

jeffkinn wrote:

I suspect this is am issue caused by Twitter rather than Vodafone. There are stories that this happened much ealier in Twitter's life cycle back in 1989.

Don't think Twitter existed much back in 1989 ;-P

I can't remember the exact details but I believe when the service launch it was Vodafone who covered the cost of sending SMS messages to it's customers so Twitter wouldn't have had any costs involved there. I could be wrong on that though, the only details I can find now are on the Twitter Blog

I never got the message telling me it was stopping yet I havn't received any notifications since the end of last week. 

View more options

What a weird typo - I meant 2009 of course.

I'm no good with numbers!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
16: Advanced member

jeffkinn wrote:

I'm no good with numbers!

:smileylol:  That's made my day! :smileylol:

PWIAC

View more options
3: Seeker

I have this problem as well - received this txt on 14th . . . "Starting Nov 15th, Vodafone UK will no longer support some Twitter SMS notifications. You will still be able to use 2-factor authentication and reset your password over SMS. However, Tweet notifications and activity updates will cease. We are very sorry for the service disruption."

On 15th, I stopped getting any Tweets sent to my phone and also (strangely) the tweets I sent from my phone (to 86444) didn't get published (but of course, I DID get charged for them ! On pay-as-go).

View more options

What makes this even more confusing is : not everybody got the texts saying the service was stopping and strangly , some customers are still getting the SMS texts from 86444 .

View more options

At last an official statement from Voda

See

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Latest-Vodafone-news/Twitter-notifications/m-p/2312606#M131 

I wonder when and if this service will ever return

J

View more options

Apparently,  you might be able to still tweet out using the "long code" (see link) but not receive notifications... https://support.twitter.com/articles...a-text-message 

But that doesn't work for me.

View more options

FAO Voda employees, Do you know how long this is likely to go on for, are negotiations actually happening ?

Is it worth holding fire on changing networks ?

View more options

I'm afraid that Vodafone won't comment beyond what has already been said in the official statement above.  Keep an eye on that link for any further updates and information. 

PWIAC

View more options

Thanks Drey_p   Looks like they have now answered my question, with the edited statement . Time to look elsewhere .

View more options

So let me get this straight. Vodafone send out a single SMS message telling their customers that they're cutting off a very useful communications service, and no-one from Vodafone is actually going to explain WHY? How on earth can Vodafone expect to get away with treating their customers with such contempt? And having read other posts in this thread, I have just discovered even more bad news. As well as deliberately cutting off notifications of Tweets, follows etc., I can no longer send Tweets TO Twitter from my mobile!

Vodafone, how dare you!

View more options

I'm as affected as anyone else who used to get Twitter SMs traffic.

But they dare because you aren't paying anyone for it and Twitter is free. Vodafone is a business not a charity.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
From what I've read about it, Twitter changed the goalposts yonks back, and as part of how they make revenue from businesses, they needed to pay networks to facilitate the SMS feature (essentially it could either be totally free, or make Twitter money from companies which a portion of which they subsidised random plebs using it). They have recently decided to not pay for the service, so the networks have the choice of charging customers - and then wasting more money arguing with people who'll dispute the charges - or stopping altogether. I'm sure the other networks will be rolling the same way. Blame Twitter for wanting to make money without paying for the service that makes them money.
View more options