Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Analytics function on Vodafone Router web admin portal removed

rossboy1
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Have Vodafone removed the Analytics function previously available in the Status & Support menu on the 'Vodafone WiFi Hub' broadband router?

20 REPLIES 20

I regret I have to disagree with you there.  I had an intrusion into my home network last year that I was able to localize and stop only because I could identify the device that was sending and receiving vast amount of traffic that it shouldn't have been, and I could do that only because of the basic stats provided by my BT hub.

Respectfully, I reiterate my question: how can I make a formal request for a small enhancement of the nature I described in my previous post?

Thank you.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Just to check @AustinS - did the steps advised by Tash not work, through the GUI?

I will pass your suggestion onto the dedicated team to see if any updates can be done to the web interface 👍

I think perhaps we are at cross-purposes.

I was not looking for help in stopping something happening now, but I am sure that the MAC filtering as advised by Tash would enable me to block traffic from a device should it be misbehaving, and I can see how to do that in the GUI.  So thanks for that.

The reason I raised the topic of a misbehaving device was that I had suffered from this last year, and the feature of my BT Hub that showed me stats for total upstream and downstream internet traffic per device was the critical tool that enabled me to work out which device was at fault.

Thanks for passing the request along.

dedsi
1: Seeker

Hi,

Can we please get an update about this?

Seems like replacing the feature shouldn't be a major problem and like the other people commented it is very useful if not necessary,

Are you able to suggest another way I can check the bandwidth usage of one of my devices, in my case a tv?

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @dedsiwe know you're looking for the bandwidth usage of the TV, but we don't currently have an update from the tech teams; sorry for any inconvenience this is causing. 

The conversation was at crossed puposes above.

By removing Analytics / QoS, in my opinion was a step backwards. It really needs to be added back in a future update.

If you have a busy (data throughput) network, it's vital that some connections have priority over others on the network. Customers really should be able to control that.

It's not about seeing what the modem is synching at with the exchange, it's about LAN control.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

1. @microwave wrote:

The conversation was at crossed puposes above.

By removing Analytics / QoS, in my opinion was a step backwards. It really needs to be added back in a future update.

If you have a busy (data throughput) network, it's vital that some connections have priority over others on the network. Customers really should be able to control that.

It's not about seeing what the modem is synching at with the exchange, it's about LAN control.

I think you are chasing a loser here… for every customer such as you that requires nth degree analysis, there are dozens? hundreds? thousands? who will never ever trouble their router’s UI.  It makes sense (to the ISP) then to not provide features that are of no interest to the vast majority of its customer base.

From a support point of view, the sooner these routers have little (if anything) more than an on/off switch the better… allow the user to set an SSID or a DNS server from the smartphone App and display a limited range of simple top level information such as connected devices and the ISP's support costs drop as the customers can’t inadvertently break things.

For the relative few that want more interaction, more control and more analysis, using third party kit is the way forward. (No support burden there and Vodafone are perfectly happy for us to do that.

None of the above means I particularly agree with the 'simplification’ but I can see why it might be a desirable thing from the ISP angle.

You may well be right but it's still a step backwards, whichever way you look at it.

The point between having a 'basic' and 'expert' interface is surely to prevent people that shouldn't really be looking in there, if they don't know what they are doing, while those that do, can.

If the way forward is to simplify everything, the future is not bright.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@microwave wrote:

If the way forward is to simplify everything, the future is not bright.

It is for those that just like things to work.😉

With that argument, you'd be happy with a new tv that only allowed you to turn it on and off, store your tv channels and adjust your volume / change channels and then accept all the other professional settings to the tv manufacturer, to avoid people turning their brightness down to zero, making it look like the tv was broke?

There are lots of people that want to have more control of the things they buy. My old Vodafone hub had this facility. After 4 years, it was causing packet loss, so I got the latest one, which no longer had that facility. I used it to control the bandwidth on my childrens devices, as they were streaming videos and actually not even looking at it, while doing something else.