cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I connect my Vodafone HUB to my own router and use the Landline?

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

I replaced my Vodafone HUB with a TP-Link X20 Mesh system and it got me thinking...

Can I plug my Vodafone HUB's WAN port into one of the spare Ethernet ports on one of my TP-Link X20's and use the Vodafone HUB as a VoIP ATA so that I can make use of my Vodafone Digital Voice Landline? Simple answer is NO!

To expand a little, I disabled WIFI on the Vodafone HUB and gave it the default IP address 192.168.1.1, my TP-Link X20's home mesh system is assigned the default IP address 192.168.0.1. Having connected one end of an Ethernet cable to Port 2 on the back of my TP-Link X20 and the other end to the WAN port on the Vodafone HUB and powering it on, I can confirm that it does not obtain an IP address from my router, it has no internet connection, and the "Phone" led is NOT illuminated. 

So there you have it! The Vodafone HUB has to be connected to the ONT in order to obtain an IP address and thus have a working internet connection and Digital Voice service. 

4 REPLIES 4

Cynric

Try it the other way round. Connecting the VF router to the world and connect your X20 to the LAN port.

WelshPaul

Huh? If I connect my Vodafone HUB to the world then the WAN port is in use by the ONT, and so I can't connect the X20 to its wan port? Also, putting the Vodafone HUB before your own router will result in double NAT which is a big No No.

Cynric

Well ..... Not strictly so. It may indeed be no good for you but I do not have any problems with two routers.

For me it made leaving the dreadful world of VF a piece of cake. Rip out the THG3000 put in the new router and all was fine.

It just isn't the solution in all circumstances.

WelshPaul

Just because you haven't encountered an issue doesn't mean there aren't any. Sure, one could use the Vodafone HUB as a router and disable WIFI and use a mesh system such as the X20 in access point mode. This would allow one to make use of the Vodafone landline while improving WIFI but there are users out there that need to replace the Vodafone HUB for a variety of reasons and want to still utilise the landline.

My post was to inform those customers that it isn't possible to do so. 👍