cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I connect my laptop to broadband services with a Vodaphone package?

richard9799
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. I already have broadband for my laptop (I'm with Virgin Media).  Most every time I try to find an alternative provider I'm limited to a broadband speed of 1-3Mb, which I'm not keen on.  It appears that I can get a decent speed if I subscribe to a Vodaphone package (Full Fibre,  say), but I'm skeptical for some reason. If it is true that Vodaphone can connect me to the internet with decent download speeds (41 Mb or higher)?  Does the Wi-Fi hub connect to my existing fibre optic cable (it ought to given that the package says "full fibre"), or does it use the cell-phone network? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If you are in an Openreach or CityFibre FTTP area, Vodafone will use one of those to connect you.

They cannot use your Virgin connection, be it fibre or cable.

If you do not have Openreach or CityFibre FTTP available they will use FTTC, with the maximum possible speed being 80Mbs, dependant on the distance from your cabinet.

When you try using the website to join, you can see what is available to you from the speeds offered.

If 80Mbs is the maximum, it is FTTC, If the speeds are higher, it is FTTP.

If the upload and download speeds are the same, it is CityFibre, if the upload is lower than the download it is Openreach.

Best Broadband Deals | Home Broadband | Vodafone

HTH.

Hi. A while ago some alterations were made to the system and I'm sure it was done by CityFibre.  I was wondering at the time if it had anything to do with giving more customer choice.  Inasmuch as it appeared I was stuck with Virgin Media unless having to accept a slow connection speed over a land line. Now, ( I have just discovered)  I have 8 providers that can offer excellent speeds, because of the CityFibre upgrade. With Vodaphone I see that packages range from 41 to 910Mbps.  One thing though: I cannot recall City Fibre making any changes to the broadband connection as it enters my premises.  Maybe it is a fibre cable up to my house from when Virgin Media installed the connection. Will an engineer need to visit my premises? Thanks.

Jayach

I suspected it was probably CityFibre. The final connection to the house will be made when/if you join. It may be underground or overhead, depending on what they have prepared in your road. Did they dig the road up (actually it is usually just a narrow trench) or were they working up poles (assuming you have any)?

AFAIK they won't use the Virgin fibre (if you have it, most of their connections are coax cable) but they may use the same ducting.

Hi. When CityFibre did their work, they dug narrow trenches in selected spots across the roads and maybe on the pavement.  As said, no work was done in my garden. The Virgin Media "cable" whether it is fibre or copper, is simply hidden under the garden soil. So, if I select a Vodaphone package, I'd be expecting some work done in my garden, from what has been said.

Jayach

@richard9799 wrote:

So, if I select a Vodaphone package, I'd be expecting some work done in my garden, from what has been said.

Definitely, whoever you go with.