cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can you plug a K5161 dongle into a Gigafast THG3000 router to keep connected with 4G

rhodricthomas
3: Seeker

Hi folks, long story short, but trying to maintain home network while Gigafast repeatedly-failed upgrade from Feb'21 gets restored (yet another 3 weeks to wait for reconnection)...

In the new Vodafone Pro packages, it looks like in order to get the '4G broadband back-up' they are plugging a 4G dongle into the router (presumably the K5161 available). Since I have been supplied with a R219 4G MiFi unit (working, but restricted to 10 WiFi devices) and unlimited data SIM to try to keep me connected, I'm wondering if this would be a possible improved approach.

In other words, I have the existing home setup still working internally, a data SIM, and the same router it seems as the latest package (THG3000) - so can it be configured to run WAN from a (supported) 4G dongle instead? In calling VF support, they've indicated that it's not guaranteed - but has anyone tried it and found it to work successfully?

Ideally, all I'd need is the K5161 dongle, plug it in to the covered USB slot in the THG3000, and hey presto! Cannot convince VF support to send one on to try however, unfortunately.

Any suggestions/workable options welcome 🙂

--Rhod

1 REPLY 1

rhodricthomas

Hi folks, just a quick update on this...

I managed to get one of the dongles to try - and it worked first time, no extra configuration needed. The router ‘Mobile’ light came on, and the admin console reported using VF 4G for connection. Unfortunately, where I have the router isn’t the best place for the mobile signal (only a couple bars), so only got 10Mbps max, while normal mobile broadband location is normally better.

Now I have my fibre back (though only Gigafast 100 now), not an issue - just thought others might be interested - it effectively looks like part of the new Pro packages being bundled.

Best,

—Rhod