Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Replacing THG3000 with a Google Mesh Router & Modem advice

hellipsis
2: Seeker

Hi there,

Ive been trying to make sense of posts on here to help my siutation but am getting a bit lost as a non technical person

Can anyone break it down for me in a simple way if possible.

I have Vodafone standard internet connection apx 52Mbps. We dont have fibre optic here yet in our flats.

The Router is a Vodafone THG3000.

I want to set up a Google Nest Mesh network in my flat. (Ive done this setup at my parents house who have Virgin Media router set to modem mode connected to Google Nest Mesh device).

So in my scenario do i just connect the Google Nest Mesh to the THG3000 via the Ethernet and go through setup.

I read here that I cannot set the THG3000 into just modem mode. But not sure if thats needed? And what the usual purpose of doing this would be. But now worry I cannot use a Google Nest Mesh with the THG3000?

Alternatively can i just replace the THG3000 with the Google Mesh Router? Or is the problem that the Google Mesh has no modem?

Do i definately need a modem or modem enabled router for my flats - is there a way i can check?

If I do need a modem then what do I do about the Google Nest Mesh? Get a new Router (with modem included) and connect the Google Nest to that?

NOTE. I got PPOE details and configuration details from Vodafone chat in case I needed it.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Ps. Sorry if this is all obvious. Struggling to understand it all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hellipsis

hi

i want to add my experience here in case it helps anyone in a similiar situation

started trying to sort the wifi and nests out and make sure everything was working fine at 2pm. its now 9pm. and finally all sorted

this is the experience of someone who doesnt understand the technical when it comes to broadband, routers, mesh networks, settings and the importance of power cycling devices (fully pulling the power cord out)

hours of troubleshooting, calls with google, calls with vodafone. here is what worked....

- i connected the google mesh nest device to the THG vodafone router via the LAN ethernet connection (not WAN)
- i had to contact vodafone to get them to put the router into "bridge mode". this took a while. they offered a free booster but i made it clear i wanted to use the google mesh 
- vodafone said they set the router to work as an "extender" and that the settings were done remotely and now will allow me to connect the mesh network.
- vodafone advised to factory reset the router for the effect to work - however didnt want to do this as so many of my devices are connected to my network name and password (SSID)
- had to fully powercycle both the google nest and router as it wouldnt work for a while because trying earlier caused settings to remain as they were before vodafone put the router in bridge mode!!! much time lost!!! (note: did not have to factory reset the vodafone router but just the google nest device)
- i set the google mesh user name and password (SSID) to be the same as my routers was so all my devices would easily connect without changes!
- set up the additional 2 google mesh devices and easily worked fine!

- all devices worked seemlessly and at much more reliable connection and this meant getting good speeds

- however spent a few hours working why all my sonos speakers got messed up and missing. hours spent on factory resets and multiple failed connects!!!
- the issue was fixed when i worked out i had to log in to my vodafone router settings (Log into router via 192.168. 1.1 or vodafone. connect in your browser on a computer or mobile)
- i then went to expert mode...wifi and had to turn the wifi switch off!!! 
- once this was done i still had tons of repeat issues trying to connect sonos speakers UNTIL...fully powered the router off!!!!
- once router off all speakers setup again and working fine!!!

this may all sound silly to those in the know. but i went through hours of issues, google searches, calls, experimenting and fumbling around!!! maybe it will help someone!

ive skipped all the mistakes i made during the process!!!!

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

Stumpy21
4: Newbie

Just a quick question. Why do you want/feel you need Google Mesh ?

The THG3000 should be more than capable of supplying coverage of 52Mb broadband in a flat. You do not need 6E WiFi for that speed.

Because its not. Speed on other rooms detoriates. Speed tests show this. A real problem when working from home in the spare room. Nkt an issue if i worked in the living room

I hadnt suggested wifi 6e. Im suggesting the little google nest mesh pods released a few years ago

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If the Nest has access point mode, just use that.

hellipsis

hi

i want to add my experience here in case it helps anyone in a similiar situation

started trying to sort the wifi and nests out and make sure everything was working fine at 2pm. its now 9pm. and finally all sorted

this is the experience of someone who doesnt understand the technical when it comes to broadband, routers, mesh networks, settings and the importance of power cycling devices (fully pulling the power cord out)

hours of troubleshooting, calls with google, calls with vodafone. here is what worked....

- i connected the google mesh nest device to the THG vodafone router via the LAN ethernet connection (not WAN)
- i had to contact vodafone to get them to put the router into "bridge mode". this took a while. they offered a free booster but i made it clear i wanted to use the google mesh 
- vodafone said they set the router to work as an "extender" and that the settings were done remotely and now will allow me to connect the mesh network.
- vodafone advised to factory reset the router for the effect to work - however didnt want to do this as so many of my devices are connected to my network name and password (SSID)
- had to fully powercycle both the google nest and router as it wouldnt work for a while because trying earlier caused settings to remain as they were before vodafone put the router in bridge mode!!! much time lost!!! (note: did not have to factory reset the vodafone router but just the google nest device)
- i set the google mesh user name and password (SSID) to be the same as my routers was so all my devices would easily connect without changes!
- set up the additional 2 google mesh devices and easily worked fine!

- all devices worked seemlessly and at much more reliable connection and this meant getting good speeds

- however spent a few hours working why all my sonos speakers got messed up and missing. hours spent on factory resets and multiple failed connects!!!
- the issue was fixed when i worked out i had to log in to my vodafone router settings (Log into router via 192.168. 1.1 or vodafone. connect in your browser on a computer or mobile)
- i then went to expert mode...wifi and had to turn the wifi switch off!!! 
- once this was done i still had tons of repeat issues trying to connect sonos speakers UNTIL...fully powered the router off!!!!
- once router off all speakers setup again and working fine!!!

this may all sound silly to those in the know. but i went through hours of issues, google searches, calls, experimenting and fumbling around!!! maybe it will help someone!

ive skipped all the mistakes i made during the process!!!!